Maxlife ATF or Beck Arnley Premium ATF for 2007 Honda Ridgeline?

My Ridgeline is approaching 100K miles and I want to do a series of drain and fills for it's second ATF fluid change. The first was done by a Honda dealer at 62K miles using a Wynn's fluid exchange machine but no solvents (requested by me but who knows what they did). I'm the original vehicle owner. The truck is not used for towing or severe driving.

The OM calls for Z-1. Maxlife is about a $1.50 less per quart, so price is not a factor. The Beck Arnley is Type Z-1. I plan to do three drain and fills each after 1,000 miles. I welcome opinions on which fluid I should use.

Last edited:
honda fluids.JPG

Thank you, Cripes. I suspected that Z-1 was succeeded by DW-1 after 2011 but I couldn't verify it until just now. My last transmission service was in 2013 and I can't tell which fluid the Honda dealer used. If it was Z-1, can I still use DW-1 for three drain and fills? In other words, are the two compatible or mixable?

Thank you, Cripes. I suspected that Z-1 was succeeded by DW-1 after 2011 but I couldn't verify it until just now. My last transmission service was in 2013 and I can't tell which fluid the Honda dealer used. If it was Z-1, can I still use DW-1 for three drain and fills? In other words, are the two compatible or mixable?

Yes, you can mix Z1 and DW1 with no problem :)

Honda stopped selling Z1 once DW1 came out, and back-spec'd all Z1 transmissions to DW1. In 2013, the dealer most likely used DW1 sine Z1 had been obsolete for 2 years at that point.

JeffKeryk, thanks for the info. I take care of my sisters 2012 Accord 4cyl with 92k trouble free miles and I'm ready to do some drain and fills on the trans. I'm going to look in to the Idemitsu ATF.

Don’t you know by spill and filling 3 times you’re just contaminating your new fluid? 😝 Kidding

glass half empty

Use Z-1 or DW-1 (if it's backwards compatible) and be done with it. Transmissions are nothing to play with.

Back