Maxlife ATF in Aisin AS69RC - 2018 Dodge 3500?

Hey guys. Been lurking for a while and finally signed up. I have a preowed 2018 Ram 3500 with the as69rc Transmission. 80k miles and I don't know the service history so I'm going to knock out a transmission fluid change. I have scoured the internet and it seems this has been a debate going on for a few years about the magical properties of a $60 gallon of Transmission fluid.

A couple of weeks ago I did change on the transfer case and just used a Valvoline ATF+4 full synthetic. Looking at the data sheets Valvoline Maxlife ATF lists as68rc and as 69rc transmissions for use. Yesterday, I called Valvoline and the rep who answered also confirmed. Called Castrol as well and their rep said their transmax full synthetic is is good to use but not certified. I didn't ask if Valvoline was "certified" or not.

Its crazy for me to think that the Maxlife wouldn't work just fine.

A couple of weeks ago I did change on the transfer case and just used a Valvoline ATF+4 full synthetic. Looking at the data sheets Valvoline Maxlife ATF lists as68rc and as 69rc transmissions for use. Yesterday, I called Valvoline and the rep who answered also confirmed. Called Castrol as well and their rep said their transmax full synthetic is is good to use but not certified. I didn't ask if Valvoline was "certified" or not.
Its crazy for me to think that the Maxlife wouldn't work just fine.
As wpod said, it's your transmission!
Do you own stock in Maxlife? Are you in love with it? I'm asking because you have the choice,of their own fluid andpossibly Toytoa/Lexus that use Aisin trannies. Should you run into transmission problems do you expect not to have problems with the warranty? Maxlife is a good product, but I'd only use it if there weren't more suitable and Ainsin approved fluids and that goes double if still under warranty.

As wpod said, it's your transmission!
Do you own stock in Maxlife? Are you in love with it? I'm asking because you have the choice,of their own fluid andpossibly Toytoa/Lexus that use Aisin trannies. Should you run into transmission problems do you expect not to have problems with the warranty? Maxlife is a good product, but I'd only use it if there weren't more suitable and Ainsin approved fluids and that goes double if still under warranty.

No, not in love with it, they just list my Transmission on their data sheet.

Welcome to BITOG :)

You can use Maxlife iwth no problem. Castrol Full Synthetic is also good stuff. You can't go wrong with either. Aisin/Toyota transmissions usually aren't picky.

Since Aisin is smart enough to include a drain plug, changing it it very easy

I used Petrocanada Duradrive in my AS69RC on the first change. Worked fine. This second change will be Maxlife. Why? My truck, my money and Maxlife says compatible with this transmission. It normally calls for plain Jane 3309, nothing special or even new about that. I was expecting sparks when using Duradrive multu vehicle ATF the first time but I must have missed something because it was fine and I towed some heavy sht.

I used Petrocanada Duradrive in my AS69RC on the first change. Worked fine. This second change will be Maxlife. Why? My truck, my money and Maxlife says compatible with this transmission. It normally calls for plain Jane 3309, nothing special or even new about that. I was expecting sparks when using Duradrive multu vehicle ATF the first time but I must have missed something because it was fine and I towed some heavy sht.
Yeah. Thats kind of where I am as well. I've also read where people use Amsol Multivehicle AFT as well. I think Ill use Maxlife and drain a bit at 5k to see what it looks like. The rep at Valvoline seemed pretty confident in it.

I am hoping to get it changed this upcoming week, going to try an ATP B463 filter instead of the amazingly overpriced mopar filter.

Then I can give it a proper shakedown and see if the thing blows up.

I am hoping tomorrow I will get some time to better set the fluid level. The filter change isn't much fun and I got the expected P0868 code, hard shifts and also was not able to use the range selector switch. I used 10 litres of ATF and was measuring low.

Today I checked the level and it was showing high. The harsh shifts were gone but still unable to clear. I will drain out a litre or more and recheck the level. Hopefully tomorrow I will get a shakedown done and can give you a better review.

I took the truck on a good test drive today. It self cleared the code and I took it on a 28 mile test drive to town and back. I was quite spirited on the highway. Operated perfectly fine. Shifts felt the same, no slipping, shuddering, nothing. All good thus far.

I have had ok but not ideal results running maxlife (and other low viscosity fluids like Mag1 LV) in transmissions designed for the 3309/T-IV. Doesn't appear to do harm, but not as smooth/flawless as it's the wrong viscosity and a slightly different add pack. BTW, if you want to stock up for a future change, Autozone is clearing out the Idemitsu 3309 flavor (TLS). $2/qt. I picked up several for the future.

The TLS-LV is for the 3324 fluids, the Toyota "WS" fluid.

IMG-3029.JPG

Mobil 3309 is $5/qt if you buy enough at Summit (free shipping). Good luck with pan drops.

In my case, 3309 from a distributor was the same price as Maxlife from Walmart and slightly cheaper than Petrocan Duradrive. For such a basic fluid, 3309 is a ripoff up here.

As I put more miles on my truck, it feels not different using maxlife LV compared to the Duradrive compared to the factory fill.

Back