MaxLife and other high mileage oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
timzak,

There are a lot of posts on this topic. Use the search feature to get a list of them all.

Bottom line answer, yeah they look pretty good. Castrol & Pennzoil look better than Valvoline's.

GSV,

Thanks. I'm a newbie here and commited a newbie blunder. Found lots of good info dating back about a year. I didn't realize MaxLife was around that long! I just noticed it on the shelves here about 6 months ago.

I'm running it and like it a lot. I sent off my oil analysis just a few days ago on it, so be on the lookout for a topic by me on it. I hope it ends up looking good, Im really anxious to see my own results!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by timzak:
Any opinions on these high mileage oils? Do they really do what they're supposed to?

My car is using oil, about 1 qt / 850 miles with the 5W30 or 10W30 the manufacturer specifies. I tried Castrol high mileage 10W40 and it went to 1 qt / 1,050 miles. Now I am using Roetella T 5W40 and getting about the same 1,050 miles / quart or maybe a little less usage than that (have only had it in a short time). My concusion is that the "high mileage" features of the oil didn't do much to help me. Supposedly it is on the higher end of the viscosity range (which I verified as true through UOA), less prone to evaporation and has ingredients that are supposed to be good for you seals and gaskets.

Many people on here claim to have benefitted from the high mileage oils. I personally did not experience any benefits, as far as I could tell. They are a lot more expensive, so I would only continue their use if there is a significant quantifiable benefit.

[ May 31, 2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: CJH ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dominic:
Well, if an engine is losing oil due to blowby or a leaky seal, there really isn't much that the lube can do for it.

For Valvoline Maxlife, I found this interesting:
http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/news/jan03.html

Domonic, yes, you are right of course...although some people claim minor leaks have been eliminated by using high mileage oils.

I do think there is something to them...try it and if it helps, go with it. But if you try it and see no benefits, what is the point?

On that website it talks about Vavoline Europe. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the formulas different from MaxLife in the US than that from Europe? My point being there may be more additives and even some moly in the european formulas.

quote:

Originally posted by CJH:

quote:

Originally posted by Intelman34:
I use Castrol GTX High Mileage and Pennzoil High Mileage with great results!

Could you share your great results with us?

=) id like to put high milage oil in my car, even though it dont burn oil.

quote:

Originally posted by digitaldrifter91:

quote:

Originally posted by CJH:

quote:

Originally posted by Intelman34:
I use Castrol GTX High Mileage and Pennzoil High Mileage with great results!

Could you share your great results with us?

=) id like to put high milage oil in my car, even though it dont burn oil.

If it doesn't burn oil or leak oil, I have to wonder what your motivation would be? The way I see it, the benefits are: 1) viscosity at high end of range for that particular grade, 2) has ingredients to minimize evaporation and 3) has ingredients to condition seals and gaskets.

So if you are not consuming oil by burning or leaking, why would you choose HIGH MILEAGE oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back