Maxlife and Castrol HM 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Valvoline Maxlife in my '94 GMC 1/2 ton with the 5.7 for several years now with no complaints. I decided to give Castrol HM a try. With Maxlife, I never needed to add oil until my next service was due but my oil pressure would drop off after 1500 miles. With Castrol HM, my oil pressure is a lot better but I am having to add a qt after only 1000-1200 miles.
Any ideas?

Many people have mentioned that your vehicle has to get used to a different oil. Give it a little while.

I have heard that the Castrol HM burns off more than others...your story confirms this. BUT, I have also heard that the Castrol HM has a very thick base oil, which would maybe explain the oil pressure?

Might I suggest you try the Pennzoil HM oil in 10w30? Please do and give the results...from what I have read, I bet it will be the best of both worlds for you.

Thanks for the advice! I'll give Pennzoil HM a try and and let you know how it works out. I will try the Castrol HM in another vehicle, that is driven differently than my GMC, just to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back