MaxLife 5w30, 5k oil on 07 Sienna with 95k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker very rare poster. I just got a UOA on the wife's Swagger Waggon and I figure you guys are the only ones besides me likely to care about the results.

07+SIENNA-070614.jpg

The car had all it's oil changes done at the dealer for the first 50,000 miles (while the warranty was in place) but I'm not convinced they actually did it every time or at the very least they used cheap oil because the oil looked like garbage the first time I changed it.

Since I have been doing the oil changes (starting at 50k) I have only used Max-Life, 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer.

Unlike when I drained the dealer oil the first time every other time I've changed it the oil has come out super clean so I guessed it was likely I could go past the 5000 mile Toyota recommended interval but I figured I should have some data to back that up.

2 oil changes ago (at 85k) I dosed the engine oil with Sea-Foam about 50 miles before I changed the oil. I was a little worried there would be some residual Sea-Foam in the oil for the test.

Planning on moving to the suggested 7k OCI for the next couple of oil changes and then test again at 109k

Originally Posted By: raitchison
Planning on moving to the suggested 7k OCI for the next couple of oil changes and then test again at 109k

The heck with what Blackstone says, leave the OCI as it is. You gotta good thing going there; don't blow it.

Your sienna has been back specified to run 0w20 and 5w20 and many have run it with great results. I would recommend Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 or Toyota Genuine 0w20.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Your sienna has been back specified to run 0w20 and 5w20 and many have run it with great results. I would recommend Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 or Toyota Genuine 0w20.

You're gonna recommend he change viscosity when he's got some of the lowest wear numbers at 5K this board has ever seen? Unbelievable.

Results look great.

Unless you're trying to maximize how much you get out of the oil, I'd keep the same OCI, or at the most go up to 6k miles.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

You're gonna recommend he change viscosity when he's got some of the lowest wear numbers at 5K this board has ever seen? Unbelievable.

The universal averages for the engine are 9 ppm for 6300 miles, so his oil isn't playing as big a part in the wear as you think, the engine naturally wears well on average.

The syn blend isn't up to the task of extended changes and also synthetic like Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 would show much better TBN retention after even longer runs. If he hadn't mentioned extended his intervals I probably wouldn't have recommended it. AFE will do 10k in this engine making the cost per mile cheaper and better cold starting properties.

Originally Posted By: raitchison

The heck with what Blackstone says, leave the OCI as it is. You gotta good thing going there; don't blow it.

+1 don't change a thing

Looks great; going a little longer probably won't hurt anything, but with TBN at 1.9 after 5k (yes I know it's not linear people) I would be inclined to increase conservatively.

With your statement about the dealer's oil being really dark and maybe they didn't actually do the change, I would tend to agree based on visual condition of the oil, even without proof. Shame you can't trust the one that's supposedly best for your vehicle, these days.

This is a great report.. I wouldn't change anything. Is it just me, or is valvoline just not up to the task of extended drain intervals, when compared to other competitors? Not saying this oil did bad, just seems like the TBN drops like a rock.

Originally Posted By: actionstan
This is a great report.. I wouldn't change anything. Is it just me, or is valvoline just not up to the task of extended drain intervals, when compared to other competitors? Not saying this oil did bad, just seems like the TBN drops like a rock.

The Maxlife full synthetic holds up a little better, I believe this to be syn blend.

If Toyota back specked it Merk, there is nothing wrong with running a 20 weight.

The universal averages for the engine are 9 ppm for 6300 miles, so his oil isn't playing as big a part in the wear as you think, the engine naturally wears well on average.

The syn blend isn't up to the task of extended changes and also synthetic like Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 would show much better TBN retention after even longer runs. If he hadn't mentioned extended his intervals I probably wouldn't have recommended it. AFE will do 10k in this engine making the cost per mile cheaper and better cold starting properties.

I agree 100%. I would run TGMO or M1 AFE. TBN will hold up much better. I dont see why anyone should be afraid to change oil types, its not like its going to automatically make his oil analysis results poor because he went to a full syn...that logic makes no sense.

You're gonna make yet another irrelevant comment that has no bearing on anything whatsoever? Unbelievable.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
If Toyota back specked it Merk, there is nothing wrong with running a 20 weight.

I've never run Xw20 oil in any car, it's my opinion that car manufacturers who call for it are only looking to improve their CAFE numbers at the expense of long term engine life. They know that when that proverbial chicken comes home to roost the car will be well out of warranty and they won't have to pay for it.

Originally Posted By: sicko
Unless you're trying to maximize how much you get out of the oil, I'd keep the same OCI, or at the most go up to 6k miles.

Well the entire reason I did the UOA is to see if I could get away with pushing the OCI out a bit. Maybe I'll do 6k instead of 7k as an intermediate step.

The Maxlife full synthetic holds up a little better, I believe this to be syn blend.

Correct this is the regular (syn-blend). I switched to this stuff for all my cars (with the exception of my Motorcycle which gets Rotella T and my TDI which gets the expensive GC 507.00 from the dealer) after Mobil1 moved to semi-syn.

Valvoline always has great UOAs, stay with what you're using, ignore the xW-20 chatter. My neighbor has a 2007 Lexus with the same V6 - 5W-30 is what the owners manual calls for, that's what I use. Getting 1/10th of a MPG more is irrelevant in the real world. If I was in Canada, maybe I'd consider a 20 in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back