Maxlife 5w/30 5240 Mi, 99 Subaru Outback 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome report on the old outback IMHO. We bought this car 4 years. Bought it used with over 100K on it.

Oil filter is a Purolator Pure Oil(gold case) and a purolator air filter. I definitely think I'll stretch the oil interval out longer as Blackstone suggests.

Comments welcome!

Outbackanalysis1.jpg

Extremely impressive in my book....run it for 6k. The thing about sampling is that you'll pay $30+ to sample with TBN for a $20 oil change.

Maxlife, Pennzoil YB, GTX, and Rotella 10w30 have become my favorite dino oils. I think that covers my favorites :)

Starting TBN for Maxlife is 8.3

I'm probably not going to do another analysis for a while. The car doesn't see alot of miles per year. a 6000 mile OCI will probably last me the good majority of a year.

I'm doing UOA's on all my vehicles just to see what's going on with them. So far they have show a fuel problem with my wife's DD and no problems for the Subaru.

Nice! I'm using Max Life Blend in my wife's 99 OB and my daughter's RS. The only place that I've seen the full synthetic is on Valvoline's web site!

19.gif

-Dennis

That is a awesome report.

Is that year one of the ones that had engine coolant leak issues due to gasket failures?

Nicer results. Maxlife is a VERY impressive oil.

Could easily do the 1 year/6k you are proposing.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
That is a awesome report.

Is that year one of the ones that had engine coolant leak issues due to gasket failures?

Not sure if this is one of the years that it's very common, but it was definetly something I was on the lookout for. I'm very pleased to see there was no coolant.

Maxlife got it done again! <1 ppm wear per thousand miles and your Viscosity was dead on nuts...good combo for your car. Did you have to add any top-up oil during the interval?

What a pretty report. My goodness
thumbsup2.gif

I've got 25k miles, with the past 4 oci running PP and my reports haven't been that good. Gotta love the H4 from subaru. I just love our Forester!

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
HG issues began with MY2000, IIRC.

-Dennis

Not quite. The earlier DOHC 2.5's were prone to an internal HG leak as evidenced by bubbles in the coolant overflow bottle and overheating. The later SOHC 2.5's had a peeping external leak that is under a TSB. Also, know how old the timing belt is? If it breaks, those engines are suddenly very heavy paperweights. Ask me how I know...

To the OP: Good looking report. If you haven't checked out http://www.subaruoutback.org go give it a read. Nice car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I would add that what makes this report especially impressive to me is that Subaru sumps tend to be smallish (i.e. 4 quarts)

My Forester takes 4.4 liter jugs which brings the oil close to the full line on the dipstick and with PP5w30 it burns close to 1/2 quart in 6k miles. So a typical drain will be just under 4 liters/quarts.

I think the older models have a bit smaller sumps. My 08 LGT is 4.5 quarts as well (which I just think is ridiculously small for a turbocharged engine....albeit, it is a boxer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back