Maxlife 5w/30 3676 Mi, 2001 Sunfire GT 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this could explain why the car has started burning oil. It's about 1qt every 2000 miles. Looks like my head gasket may be starting to give out. Comments welcomed and appreciated.

JonathanSunfireReport1.jpg

Even though 2.4's are known HG eaters, I don't this one is going. Valvoline uses Sodium as an additive; and the potassium/wear numbers/coolant trace isn't there.

2.4's are know to burn more oil than other GM 4-cylinders. A quart every 2k miles isn't that bad of consumption, and could certainly be worse. When I worked at WM, we got a LOT of 2.4 GM's that came in low on oil. Just keep the engine topped-off, and it will be fine.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Even though 2.4's are known HG eaters, I don't this one is going. Valvoline uses Sodium as an additive; and the potassium/wear numbers/coolant trace isn't there.

2.4's are know to burn more oil than other GM 4-cylinders. A quart every 2k miles isn't that bad of consumption, and could certainly be worse. When I worked at WM, we got a LOT of 2.4 GM's that came in low on oil. Just keep the engine topped-off, and it will be fine.

Let's hope your right. I don't think I'll try to stretch my oil changes out. Once I need to put in a 2nd qt to top it off, I just change it out.

Does the consumption start right away? If the consumption is flat, there's no reason to change it prematurely.

Have you checked the usual suspects (ventilation system, etc.) for the cause?

You mean right away as in as soon as I do an oil change? Yes it does. These engines don't have a "normal" pcv system. They have this little plastic thing that has some baffles in it that is attached directly to the block. It's kind of a pain to get too so I haven't taken it apart yet. What other "usual" suspects should I look for?

You might want to try the forum specific to these vehicles. http://www.j-body.org. From what I can see, a fairly large amount of discussion is dedicated to 2.4 motors, b/c they seem to the most 'fussy'.

Edit: Scratch that. Found your post on this topic on that site!

Last edited:
Yup 2.4L DOHC

Just looked at the report from my Subaru that had the same oil in it. Sodium was "high" there as well but blackstone didn't flag it. Must have been on something when they typed mine out :)

Outbackanalysis1.jpg

Valvoline uses Sodium a lot as an additive in its oils - PDF's show it is a part of the ML add-pack.

Are you still running this oil??? I am from Lancaster too and was considering running it.

Starting to be glad I don't have a 2.4L. The 2.2L may be slow, and a dog, but at least it's reliable. Those 2.4 twin cams seem to have alot of issues. At those levels I'd says you shouldn't relaly be worrying about head gaskets.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Starting to be glad I don't have a 2.4L. The 2.2L may be slow, and a dog, but at least it's reliable. Those 2.4 twin cams seem to have alot of issues. At those levels I'd says you shouldn't relaly be worrying about head gaskets.

The 2.3/2.4's are that unreliable. Not as solid and boring as the 2.2 OHV; but they aren't a bad engine, just noisy, and sometimes burn oil.

Decent power frm the size.

I do still have the car and I am still running Maxlife 5w-30 in it. I discovered that my oil leak/burning is mostly from a leaking timing chain cover. It will be fixed eventually. I haven't done another sample because I have add oil to it on a fairly regular basis. Usually about ever 3rd fill up.

The car has over 130K on it and the motor itself has not given me any problems. I had the direct ignition cover die on me a few years ago but other than that it's been pretty flawless. Don't even have the dreaded water pump leak. Yet....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back