Maxima tie bar/lower radiator replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Maxima torn apart waiting for an OEM lower radiator support to be delivered. Wondering if anyone went with just the bolts rather than put all the spot welds back.

Yep somebody tried to hide it with Bondo.

I think I see what you did, you just drilled out the spot welds to disconnect the radiator support, correct ?

If you don't have a spot welder, you can do what's called a 'plug weld.'

You just put a hole in one of the pieces to be joined and then put that piece with the hole over top of the other piece. Fill in the hole with MIG wire. It works like a spot weld only on a larger scale.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I think I see what you did, you just drilled out the spot welds to disconnect the radiator support, correct ?

If you don't have a spot welder, you can do what's called a 'plug weld.'

You just put a hole in one of the pieces to be joined and then put that piece with the hole over top of the other piece. Fill in the hole with MIG wire. It works like a spot weld only on a larger scale.

Yes, there are also 5 large bolts per side. So I should pre drill, then fasten, then get someone to weld?

I've done it three times, and once on a Nissan Maxima as well. All three times I bolted the support to the body, generally it is most securely attached through the bumper mounts. I've never had a problem later and it's been nearly 10 years on the Accord.

When you get the new one, make sure to spray Krown on it, or something similar.

I still have my OEM radiator support that I have to take to a local body shop. It is going to cost about $600 for the install.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
When you get the new one, make sure to spray Krown on it, or something similar.

I still have my OEM radiator support that I have to take to a local body shop. It is going to cost about $600 for the install.

Thats a fair price. Because half the nuts bolts will snap off during the removal of the nose. So make sure you get that price firm. I used https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/ for misc hardware. Ended up replacing $90 worth of nuts bolts, hose clamps, hoses, etc. Still drilling and tapping snapped bolts after a week. Other bolts are currently bathing in evapo-rust while I wait for UPS to find the front support which is currently listed as "Exception" Just my luck the main part of the whole job. Expensive huge part.. MIA at UPS.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Yes, there are also 5 large bolts per side. So I should pre drill, then fasten, then get someone to weld?

I'm thinking if you're able to bolt it on securely, then by all means do so.

By all means, plug weld it. If you don't have a welder, find a shop you can drive it to, and have them plug weld it for you. A real body guy could plug weld it for you in less than an hour, well prolly a lot less, but they will charge you an hour of flag time. $35.00

I would not want to have a front end collision with that car without the core support properly welded back on the car. It is a structural part of the unibody/chassis, really, its more important than you might think! It ties both frame rail togather! Not only is it important for structural integrity, but everything attached to it, like radiator, ect. will be vibrating.

Me, bodyman, painter, bodyshop owner 30 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back