Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard

I agree with BusyLS's comment. Although the lube will spread with the chain spinning.

depending on your climat, you will also need rust protection if you ride in wet / wintry conditions where salt corrosion is a problem.

I have gone off wax lubes because of the mess, lack of rust protection and becoming quite rigid @ cold temps

I have had better success with oil based product but fling & muck are a problem.

I use wirth dry chain lube which is excellent: thin, no fling at all and does not hang on to dirt but in wet/ wintry weather rust protection is minimal.

I have experimenting with a product call XCP chain lube since november. It is an oily type but flings and attacks road muck a lot less but has protected the chain from rust since then despite salt covered roads.

I don’t envy the salt covered roads in the UK. Here in Colorado it’s not too bad so the needs definitely aren’t as particular.

First, are you running a sealed chain or regular roller chain? The lubes job is to keep the O-rings and the X rings protected which allows the original lubricant to stay inside of the rollers. Has nothing to do with chain sliding better on anything... Chainsaw bar oil will sure protect the sealing x/o rings, and in the process make a huge tacky mess on, in and around anything it touches. How much mess and fling are you willing to clean up every time you go for a ride? Otherwise, should work, and like to hear how it goes!

I use a RK O-ring chains on the bikes, even my sons kx85 and finding a 420 oring can sometimes be difficult. I have to rebut you claim of the lube not making a chain slide better tho, heres why. After a day of riding, put your bike on the stand and spin the rear tire (plenty of resistance). Then, lube the chain really well and try again (spins freely) the guide and slides on the swingarm create a lot of drag from all the dirt. Going to the local races I see people drenching their chains after every moto, I cant see how this is effective in prolonging the life of a chain. Ive been using oring chains for years and probably have to adjust them only a few times a year, only using chain lube if the bikes get pressure washed due to muddy conditions. Every year I flip the chain over so the entire radius of the rollers have even wear. This has been my process of chain maint for years and has proven to me that I can get quit a long time out of a chain compared to many riding buddies. I would rather spend money on something else rather than chains and lube.

I use a RK O-ring chains on the bikes, even my sons kx85 and finding a 420 oring can sometimes be difficult.
O ring chains are not favored any more because of high drag single seal... go with an low drag quad seal X ring chain like Niche 420VM...
$26.95
15mis_c-dch-0319_1_600x.jpg

I use a RK O-ring chains on the bikes, even my sons kx85 and finding a 420 oring can sometimes be difficult. I have to rebut you claim of the lube not making a chain slide better tho, heres why. After a day of riding, put your bike on the stand and spin the rear tire (plenty of resistance). Then, lube the chain really well and try again (spins freely) the guide and slides on the swingarm create a lot of drag from all the dirt. Going to the local races I see people drenching their chains after every moto, I cant see how this is effective in prolonging the life of a chain. Ive been using oring chains for years and probably have to adjust them only a few times a year, only using chain lube if the bikes get pressure washed due to muddy conditions. Every year I flip the chain over so the entire radius of the rollers have even wear. This has been my process of chain maint for years and has proven to me that I can get quit a long time out of a chain compared to many riding buddies. I would rather spend money on something else rather than chains and lube.
(y)

Of course X-rings are favored now but the O-ring chain wasn’t sapping the life out of anything. When considering the difference, even if a high percentage, you could ride the same bike back to back with an O-ring chain versus an X-ring chain and not tell me which one you were on for a $50 bet, it’s a ridiculous argument. But I’m sure the RC 45 is destined for a belt anyway. Nothing any other bike does is any good according to the book of BLS. In any case, why would you keep running such an archaic chain?

Last edited:
I have also used the Dupont Chain Saver. Comparing it to the standard Maxima Chain Wax, the Maxima seems to last longer before the rollers start getting dry.

Another thing I noticed with the Dupont Chain Saver is that it is noticeably thinner, so when it's spayed onto the chain a lot of it drips off. Whereas, with the Maxima lube it's not as runny and more of the lube stays on the chain. Using either one, you need to spray enough on to wet the chain decently for the lube to wick into the inside area of the rollers, and just seems the Dupont really runs off the chain when lubing compared to the Maxima.

Was the Honda HP as thin and runny as the Dupont Chain Saver?
I kinda like the Dupont chain wax. Having just gotten back in the chain gang, I am just finishing up my first can. It works great IMO. The key to good result is shake, shake and then shake the can some more. When you shake it good it's not as thin. At the last cleaning and lubing of the chain I had less waste on the cardboard protectors. During the last CMI I rode on roads that were occasionally wet enough to cause some spray. There was no sign of corrosion and the crud on the chain came off easily.
Reasons why I like it:
As the can says it is somewhat self cleaning, and I find that to be true. Every full chain cleaning is done with the DuPont chain cleaner, then the DuPont Chain Saver. If done when the chain is still fresh from riding, and the lube sits overnight, there is very little flyoff. My cleaning interval is 600-800 miles (every 3 or 4 tanks). Mid-way through this interval I give it a refresher of the lube right on the rollers.

After I use the 2nd can of DuPont, I will try a can of Maxima. That should be a good test on a chain the is broken in at that point. I am open minded.

Motocross every other weekend I know its not easy for everyone but we clean the chains in regular solvent .... Hang to dry then use copious amounts of maxima in a large zip lock bag and then sink the chain in it real good then use rubber gloves to swish it around on the chain then once again hang to dry

Back