Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Anyone use the Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard chain lube? I've used their regular chain wax for decades, and didn't know they have this synthetic lube. Don't know how long it's been around.

Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard.jpg

I used Maxima chain wax before. It was a pain to clean and it attracted dirt. Not sure how this 'synthetic' stuff dries, if it's sticky or not.
Now I use Liquid Wrench chain and cable lube for about $5 a can. Seems to be working great. I can buy it at any hardware store and at Walmart.

I have to agree, it works well but it is really dirty. Honda HP chain lube in “Moly “ or “White Graphite” are pretty good at staying clean and won’t go back to anything else now that I’ve used them.

I have to agree, it works well but it is really dirty. Honda HP chain lube in “Moly “ or “White Graphite” are pretty good at staying clean and won’t go back to anything else now that I’ve used them.
I've used the regular Maxima chain wax for decades and it seems to work well for me. I've had it last as long as 350 miles before the center rollers start looking dry. I kind of like the fact it's not totally clear on the chain, because I monitor the center rollers as a gauge of when to re-lube. About every 3rd lubing, I simply wet a rag with kerosene and wipe the outside of the chain off which only takes 5~10 min. It doesn't fly off much at all if the chain isn't over lubed. As us bikers know, the lube fling off is worse at the countershaft sprocket because the chain is making a rapid 180 degree change in direction there.

I've tried it. I still prefer the Honda HP chain lube W/Moly

pro_12_cha_lub_wit_mol_15_oz.jpg
Maybe I'll give that a try. You think the Honda HP is better than the regular Maxima chain wax?

I recommend Motul Chain Paste... squeeze the white grease from the
tube and load the brush... Hold the loaded brush to the inside of the
chain rollers to transfer the white grease... After a couple of spins
of the chain it's lubed like from the Factory... Motul Chain Paste
clings with no flings...

IFSsIxV.jpg

sNNeKhh.jpg

gaR69pV.jpg

I use ipone, works great and it doesn’t fling.

I also use gear oil when im getting close to wash time, very messy.

You referring to the Honda HP Bonz?
Apologies I didn’t respond sooner. Yes the Honda HP Moly in the picture.

As has been shared, Motul chain paste isn’t bad, keep a tube of that under my seat for emergency use on the road. Pretty good stuff as well. However it is not as low-fling as the Honda HP in my experience.

Whatever you decide to use, let the chain sit a while before riding to prevent fling off. I typically lube my chain every couple of tanks of gas. I'll put it on the center stand when I get home in the evening and spray on some lube. In the morning, the aerosols and solvents have all outgassed and evaporated and fling off is minimized.
Riding shortly after lubing creates a messy rear rim to clean.

chain lube is such a joke, I personally dont think it really does anything but make the chain slide better on the sliders and guide. After my current bottle is out Im going to try chain saw bar and chain oil.

I have used that Maxima crystal clear chain lube on my dirt bikes and it works as well as anything else, I suppose. It is tacky and attracts dirt so it might be more suitable for street applications? O-ring and X-ring chains don't need as much lubrication as I thought, mostly for rust resistance after washing the bike. So now I just use a light coating of engine oil, wipe the excess.

chain lube is such a joke, I personally dont think it really does anything but make the chain slide better on the sliders and guide. After my current bottle is out Im going to try chain saw bar and chain oil.
First, are you running a sealed chain or regular roller chain? The lubes job is to keep the O-rings and the X rings protected which allows the original lubricant to stay inside of the rollers. Has nothing to do with chain sliding better on anything... Chainsaw bar oil will sure protect the sealing x/o rings, and in the process make a huge tacky mess on, in and around anything it touches. How much mess and fling are you willing to clean up every time you go for a ride? Otherwise, should work, and like to hear how it goes!

^^^ Lube on an O or X ring chain also lubes the inside of the center rollers where they contact the main cross pins ... That is the only non-sealed area. So it's good to use a lube that can penetrate and get well into that atea.

I use DuPont Chain Saver. I tried the Pro Honda with Moly lube and can't say I noticed any difference to the DuPont stuff other than the Honda lube went on a bit darker (presumably because of the moly) and cost a bit more.
The OEM chain on my FZ-09 only went about 13K miles before one of the links seized. I've been using DID 525VX chains (aftermarket not OEM) ever since and I replace them at around 20K miles when they start needing more and more adjustments. Could probably run them a few more thousand miles if I really wanted to squeeze every last drop out of em.

Back