Maxima oil

What do you guys think of maxima oil/products?

My family and I have had exceptional results for years, anyone share the same, or have something better possibly? To us their products are as good as can be compared to factory type oils, not even close.

How do you define exceptional results?

The full synthetic oils are pretty stout. Remember using them years ago in my motorcycles. Heavy z/p dosage that most don't need. Also used it as an 'additive' to spike api oils in my cars. Often forgotten brand but still should be at typical small engine and bike shops alongside other elite brands.

Maxima is priced pretty high for the cheapskates here... $65 a gallon is a tough pill to swallow

Not much hoopla over belray either.

Exceptional in how when running Honda oil vs maxima in a cammed engine it was remarkably more quiet with the extra lift from the cam. A Kawasaki stock also shared similar results. As did a yamaha. And many more over the years, we use to stick to factory oils until we came across maxima many years ago. The Chain lubes are great for us too.

Just was curious if anything new was out worth looking at, I've never looked for anything but maxima in probably 15+ years..

Last edited:
I use them all of the time. I try other oils here and there but always come back to Maxima. I mainly use the Premium 4 stroke in 10w40. It’s actually pretty cheap for a motorcycle oil. I order a three pack of gallons from Amazon for $64. I find that the wet clutch bikes do better on this oil. Just this week I serviced my SxS with Valvoline ATV 10w40 just because I had three qts of it in the garage. After only 2 hours trail riding with it the next day, I drained and filled with Maxima premium 4 stoke because the wet clutch felt like it was slipping at low speeds with a load on the belt.Could it have been in my Head??? Absolutely! But riding tonight for an hour with the Maxima in it I had no slip. The premium 4 stroke has 1350 ppm zddp in it too. I also use their Fab1 foam filter oil. That stuff is amazing! It doesn‘t dry out and it lasts forever. The inside of my intake is spotless too. So yes, I’m a fan.

I use them all of the time. I try other oils here and there but always come back to Maxima. I mainly use the Premium 4 stroke in 10w40. It’s actually pretty cheap for a motorcycle oil. I order a three pack of gallons from Amazon for $64. I find that the wet clutch bikes do better on this oil. Just this week I serviced my SxS with Valvoline ATV 10w40 just because I had three qts of it in the garage. After only 2 hours trail riding with it the next day, I drained and filled with Maxima premium 4 stoke because the wet clutch felt like it was slipping at low speeds with a load on the belt.Could it have been in my Head??? Absolutely! But riding tonight for an hour with the Maxima in it I had no slip. The premium 4 stroke has 1350 ppm zddp in it too. I also use their Fab1 foam filter oil. That stuff is amazing! It doesn‘t dry out and it lasts forever. The inside of my intake is spotless too. So yes, I’m a fan.
kind of can relate, i use their MTL with clutch saver, stuff is amazingly better than the fluid it replaced, very noticeable

In my stock LS3, I have been using Redline 5/20 for the last 55K with no issues. I called the folks at Maxima and asked about some of its properties and compatibility in a stock application. The technician said it's not recommended for street cars because the phosphorus can ‘potentially’ clog up the cats. I don’t push my engine that hard, so I may switch to their 5/30 full-synthetic. I would be curious if anybody has been running this in a V8.

Last edited:
i have done a few uoa on maxima and found them to be among the best reports i have ever done.
however, for as good as the report is...the price is WAY up there.
on the bang per buck list it isnt so good...too much bucks

put their 15-50 bike oil said to be 50% ester in my bikes end of this years riding in Pa, time will tell in next years riding!!

Well, I finally rolled the dice and changed from Red Line 520 to Maxima 530.
My LS3 now seems to be less chatty on start-ups with the 530. The good folks at Borowski Race recommended the stuff and I respect their opinions. Granted, it isn’t recommended for street cars due to the possibility of the phosphorus clogging the cats. I was quite satisfied with the Red Line but those greedy bastards increased the price to $65+ per gallon, and that was it for me. The technician at Maxima said if I been running 520 Red Line for 55,000 miles, then it’s likely the Maxima will work as well; we’ll see. 🤞
D7662B59-6287-4A4B-A372-E6D81606858F.jpeg

Last edited:
For years now of being on this site, people have been claiming that by spending more for oil than what others spend, it somehow gives them a product that works better. What I've seen has been, the engines only care if there is the proper amount of oil where it needs to be. They will run with clean or dirty oil, it doesn't matter to them. They will run with synthetic or mineral oil, it doesn't matter to them. For every owner that claims using their type of oil got them 450k miles, there will be 10 owners who use a cheaper oil and claim the same thing. Take lawn mowers for instance. They're used in harsh ,hot environments and will run for over 20 years. Some with the factory fill oil. or the used oil from the owners car. The engine doesn't care. Spending more for a disposable item ,doesn't make it work better. The only thing spending more does, is make the purchaser fell better. His engine couldn't care less,,,

^^^ Reminds me of the book The Grapes of Wrath, lol.

I'm sure an egine running old dirty worn out oil will wear more than one with not. Same goes for using oil too thin for the engine and use conditions. An engine will obviously "still run" with any oil in any condition, but that doesn't mean all things going on inside the engine is well.

But when you look at the causes of engine failures you'll find broken timing belts where the valves hit the pistons, cam chain tensioners that have gone bad, blown head gaskets, and cars where people just don't change their oil for a variety of reasons. None of which have anything to do with oil being the cause of the failure. And in the real world,there are engines that may not be up to new engine specs, but continue to do their jobs for hundreds of thousands of miles. Once you car hits 200k miles, most won't care how perfect the engine runs, just that it still runs. You won't remember that super expensive oil you used 12 year ago, when your wishing you car makes it up the hill your on today.,,,

But when you look at the causes of engine failures you'll find broken timing belts where the valves hit the pistons, cam chain tensioners that have gone bad, blown head gaskets, and cars where people just don't change their oil for a variety of reasons. None of which have anything to do with oil being the cause of the failure. And in the real world,there are engines that may not be up to new engine specs, but continue to do their jobs for hundreds of thousands of miles. Once you car hits 200k miles, most won't care how perfect the engine runs, just that it still runs. You won't remember that super expensive oil you used 12 year ago, when your wishing you car makes it up the hill your on today.,,,
Doing good routine maintenance, using good oil and a good oil filter isn't about an engine blowing up and failing ... it's about keeping the engine wear down and keeping it in a healthy state as long as possible.

Yes, maintenance is key, but what oil and filter you use can also have an impact as the engine gets more and more miles on it. Every engine wears with use, but engines can wear more or less depending on a lot of factors. Engines that don't get that treatment can wear more and be in worse condition as the miles pile on. A healthier engine at 150,000+ miles will most likely have better compression, less oil burning, better power, better fuel mileage, less emissions, etc down the road vs engines not taken better care of.

Yeah, most people don't care about their cars when they hit 150K+ miles, but some do. And the way new car prices are heading it just may be that more and more people will be keeping their older cars longer.

It's 2023 and you would think that for what cars cost, maintenance would be a top priority. But history will show that's not how it works. 10 years ago cars were also considered costly. And if everyone did what they were supposed to, most of those cars would be in service today. But only a small percentage are. Beside being old and out dated, they're pretty much worn out and repairs might cost than the car would cost. So nobody gets heartbroken when the old war wagon develops a lifter tick, or slight knock. If your one of the "I'm gonna make it last forever crowd" good for you. But remember the joy and satisfaction of using the finest oil available on the market, will fade when you get told the frame is rotted out, or the trans is shot. Keep the crankcase full and hope for the best.,,

Back