MAX LIFE SYN VS MOBIL 1 HM / MaxLife 40% less wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted a few weeks ago how the new Valvoline syn power now say with max life technology.

You can still find some of the older ones that just say syn power.. However I guess all the
Valvoline full syn will now have max life technology.. Im not sure if it will have the seal conditioners b/c i didn't see anyplace it say about will helps stop oil leaks like they show on the max life blend... but look.
LOOK at video and pics how they claim its 40% less wear the mobil 1
and tell me what you think?

also what i find strange is they claim mobil 1 high milage didnt pass ISLAC GF-5
however they are right about dexos1 approved.. I saw the new max life syn power with max life tech say with the real dexos1 logo on the bottle.
see

19l0kz.jpg

however is this true what they are saying on the pic that shows all the marks valvoline max life full syn and mobil 1 HM ??? Like not dexos1 and not ISLAC GF-5 and all them other things??
LOOK AT RESULTS ON PIC BELOW and watch the you tube video if you wish.

I read that they actually changed the formula on the full syn with max life technology.
They if you read its something to replace zinc

Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife Technology delivers superior engine protection by fighting the three major causes of engine stress: heat, deposits and wear. That's because Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife Technology is the only leading full synthetic formulated with more more anti–wear additives that stay in the oil longer. See a difference by choosing Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife Technology; superior protection with 40% more anti–wear film than Mobil 1*.

Premium chemistry and full synthetic base oils help Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife Technology deliver the ultimate protection against:

Heat – Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife Technology is formulated with full synthetic base oil and premium chemistry that stands–up to extreme temperatures. Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife Technology flows when the engine is cool, and maintains its protection barrier as engine temperatures rise.

Deposits – Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife Technology has extra detergents and dispersants to help prevent harmful build–up of sludge, varnish and other deposits in your engine.

Wear – With all the concern about lower zinc in motor oil, Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife Technology responded with advanced, more durable anti–wear additives that stay in the oil longer for outstanding protection against friction and wear.

Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife Technology meets the performance requirements of most naturally aspirated, turbocharged and supercharged cars operating in North America.

Contact Valvoline Product Support Team by phone at 800 TEAM VAL or by email at [email protected] for vehicle application support.

*Cameron Plint Test was used to generate wear scar vs. Mobil 1.

What group of base oils is used in the formulation of SynPower?

Valvoline uses a mixture of Group III and Group IV basestocks.

Does SynPower use polyalphaolefin (PAO) base stocks?

Yes. Valvoline uses a mixture of Group III and Group IV basestocks

here is video and pics

zvv81w.jpg

2wrqkw5.jpg

2nqdv91.jpg

i76a3d.jpg

they compare the full syn with max life tech with amsoil

How does Valvoline SynPower compare to Mobil 1 and Amsoil?

Valvoline's SynPower synthetic motor oils meet and exceed the same specifications as these two products.

Valvoline SynPower synthetic motor oils are high performing, high-quality oils formulated with full synthetic base oils and top tier additives to provide an increased level of performance. All of Valvoline's SynPower synthetic motor oils are API licensed to ensure quality for North American vehicle application. We have specially designed Valvoline SynPower 5w40 for application in high performance European or diesel passenger cars and this oil carries the specific OEM approvals such as Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen, Porsche and BMW. Our North American SynPower 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30 exceed ILSAC GF-5 requirements and carry the API starburst on the front label. Valvoline SynPower is designed with extra levels of detergent and antioxidant to provide outstanding deposit and heat protection.

Last edited:
The 40% claim, note it says WEAR FILM, not WEAR. That's marketing for you. Probably means it has more ZDDP or equivalent in it. Sort of like M1 0w-40 having 60% more "anti wear protection" (it has that much more zinc) than their 0w-30 AFE product.

Ashland's mainstream Valvoline products have always met current API specs.
Dexos 1 has long been claimed for Valvoline oils, so I guess they've finally made it official.
Synpower is perfectly good oil.
As good as M1?
Probably.
Better?
Probably not.
I've used Synpower in the past and would again.
Same with M1.

Ashland is shameless with their marketing. They fiend on the uninformed. It has more than a few here hook, line, and sinker. Their engines, "eat it up" so it must be good.

This post was enhanced for illustrated purposes.

wow, M1 isn't compatible with Emissions systems? I bet millions of cars will clog cat converters tomorrow and render the cars useless. Hasn't someone looked into this? WE NEED AN INVESTIGATION!

There advertising is aimed where it will do the most good. Most BITOG members have already made up their minds and any advertising with more technical information one way or the other won't change it. If you're already a Mobil 1 user this kind of stuff even if 100% true would not sway you toward their products.

I'll bet there are a lot of people driving cars that have an idea where the engine might be and that it needs service of some kind every now and then but may not know for sure where the hood release is or would not have a ghost of a chance finding the dip stick. This kind of advertising works in this situation. Wouldn't you want all those check marks for your engine oil?

Okay, first of all everyone needs to calm down.

Secondly, they are not replacing Valvoline SynPower with MaxLife. They are changing the MaxLife bottles to look more like the SynPower bottles, but the two are, and will continue to be, separate products. MaxLife has always been available in a semi-synthetic and a full synthetic, you're looking at the bottles for the new full synthetic (again, it's NOT a replacement for SynPower which will continue to be available). At stores they have a label on the shelf with the new MaxLife that say something like "New label, same great product."

Thirdly, the topic of the 40% claim has already been address, and when you really break it down, they're not saying anything earth shattering. They're barely even insulting M1. Look at that chart with all the Valvoline items checked off, and half the M1 items are X's. Look at all the X's, and they can be summed up by the fact that M1 HM is not resource conserving, and is SL oil whereas Valvoline is SN.

Seriously look at everyone one of the claims they have against M1.
- Reduces Fuel Consumption: M1 HM is not resource conserving.
- Compatible with emission systems, M1 HM is SL rated, Valvoline is SN, SL oil has higher ZDDP.
- Compatible with all model years: M1 HM being SL rated isn't compatible with vehicles that say to use SM rated oil or newer.
- Meets the latest Ford, Crystler, Japanese, and Korean specs: They all require SN oil.
(Side note, saying SL oil isn't "compatible" with emission systems is a bit of a stretch, it's just higher ZDDP levels are more likely to foul up a catalytic converter).

Look at all the items listed and think about how those two things (resource conserving, and SL vs SN rated) applies there. Valvoline technically isn't making anything up against M1 HM, it's just that those who know about motor oil know that they are minor things that Valvoline is drawing attention to. That's marketing, they're trying to show themselves as different/better.

Seriously, people need to step back, take a deep breath and relax. It's just marketing. Both products are very good products, and anyone on this forum would use either one without hesitation.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
"cameron plint test was used to generate wear scars"

is it some kind of 4balls that amsoil uses to brainwash people?

It's different, in that it is an actual test that is used in lubricant screening for low speed high power output diesel engines (piston ring and crosshead).

It's reciprocating, rather than the 4 ball and one armed bandit continuous motion, has variable load, and has the oil bath heated via the wear plate. It's a boundary lubrication (basically additive performance) test.

I knew it! Mobil 1 was just a fad. Just another snake oil, everyone knows its junk...
crackmeup2.gif

In reality, I would have a hard time believing max life is better than Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is one of those oils that is considered by many to be a "gold standard" of synthetics.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
I saw this exact oil in 5W-30 at Walmart today with a red tag for $5/qt.

I saw that in mine as well. That and Royal Purple. I bought the heck out of the Royal Purple. How much are the 5 quart jugs of Synpower normally?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sicko
Okay, first of all everyone needs to calm down.

Secondly, they are not replacing Valvoline SynPower with MaxLife. They are changing the MaxLife bottles to look more like the SynPower bottles, but the two are, and will continue to be, separate products. MaxLife has always been available in a semi-synthetic and a full synthetic, you're looking at the bottles for the new full synthetic (again, it's NOT a replacement for SynPower which will continue to be available). At stores they have a label on the shelf with the new MaxLife that say something like "New label, same great product."

Thirdly, the topic of the 40% claim has already been address, and when you really break it down, they're not saying anything earth shattering. They're barely even insulting M1. Look at that chart with all the Valvoline items checked off, and half the M1 items are X's. Look at all the X's, and they can be summed up by the fact that M1 HM is not resource conserving, and is SL oil whereas Valvoline is SN.

Seriously look at everyone one of the claims they have against M1.
- Reduces Fuel Consumption: M1 HM is not resource conserving.
- Compatible with emission systems, M1 HM is SL rated, Valvoline is SN, SL oil has higher ZDDP.
- Compatible with all model years: M1 HM being SL rated isn't compatible with vehicles that say to use SM rated oil or newer.
- Meets the latest Ford, Crystler, Japanese, and Korean specs: They all require SN oil.
(Side note, saying SL oil isn't "compatible" with emission systems is a bit of a stretch, it's just higher ZDDP levels are more likely to foul up a catalytic converter).

Look at all the items listed and think about how those two things (resource conserving, and SL vs SN rated) applies there. Valvoline technically isn't making anything up against M1 HM, it's just that those who know about motor oil know that they are minor things that Valvoline is drawing attention to. That's marketing, they're trying to show themselves as different/better.

Seriously, people need to step back, take a deep breath and relax. It's just marketing. Both products are very good products, and anyone on this forum would use either one without hesitation.

+1

Just waiting for the "Jerry! Jerry!"
wink.gif

I've been on the fence about using either of the high mileage oils, as her car burns no oil yet....but I would not have a problem using either of these high mileage oils....

I'm not a fan of mobil whatsoever but let's get serious here. Mobil spends millions on R+D and makes their own base oils,not to mention the partnership with shell with infinium which produces their additive packages.
Ashland is a blender buying their base oils and additive packages from outside sources.
So do we really think that mobil is going to sell their best basestocks or use them themselves,and does Ashland get the very best stuff,or just what the suppliers can get.
When you control the production like mobil and shell you control the entire market and most of all you control the quality,and the quality of the competition.
So chalk this up the the marketing departments attempt to take a shot at the obvious king.
Is there better than mobil 1. Absolutely. Is it cost effective in a daily driver?not a chance.
And does a daily driver need a better more costly oil than mobil 1. Nope.
I like redline and royal purple with synerlec and in engines that need that extra stuff then yes it's worth the extra money but my truck towing my trailer isn't one of those engines that are on that list of needing anything special.
Marketing. Nothing more. I doubt mobil will even acknowledge this because they aren't a thread.
It ain't easy being king.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I'm not a fan of mobil whatsoever but let's get serious here. Mobil spends millions on R+D and makes their own base oils,not to mention the partnership with shell with infinium which produces their additive packages.
Ashland is a blender buying their base oils and additive packages from outside sources.
So do we really think that mobil is going to sell their best basestocks or use them themselves,and does Ashland get the very best stuff,or just what the suppliers can get.
When you control the production like mobil and shell you control the entire market and most of all you control the quality,and the quality of the competition.
So chalk this up the the marketing departments attempt to take a shot at the obvious king.
Is there better than mobil 1. Absolutely. Is it cost effective in a daily driver?not a chance.
I like redline and royal purple with synerlec and in engines that need that extra stuff then yes it's worth the extra money but my truck towing my trailer isn't one of those engines that are on that list of needing anything special.
Marketing. Nothing more. I doubt mobil will even acknowledge this because they aren't a thread.

So because Valvoline needs to buy base oils they make inferior oil to M1? However, RP and Redline make better oils than M1? By that logic they should make [censored] oils as well since they need to buy base oil.

I highly doubt Mobil wouldn't sell their base oils. It's just more profit for them to sell it.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
I saw this exact oil in 5W-30 at Walmart today with a red tag for $5/qt.

For a 5qt jug? I would have cleaned them out.

Right.
Unless XOM can use all of the basestock it produces, and they can't, that excess stock is sold to other blenders.
Anyway, most Grp III basestock comes from Korea whether it ends up in M1, Synpower or Meijer synthetic.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: Clevy

So because Valvoline needs to buy base oils they make inferior oil to M1? However, RP and Redline make better oils than M1? By that logic they should make [censored] oils as well since they need to buy base oil.

I highly doubt Mobil wouldn't sell their base oils. It's just more profit for them to sell it.

Redline and RP use group 4 and 5 basestocks.

How is selling a non additized base oil more profit than an additized finished oil.
The addit ice package costs pennies per gallon which makes the finished product retail at 25 bucks a jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back