Maverick development story

Interesting, brief read about the Maverick's development process. Sounds like one auto maker may have finally gotten tired of the executive bureaucratic BS that hinders development, and is letting the engineers do their jobs. It would be nice to shake the cigar-smoking, crows nest-sitting, hindrances to innovation out of this industry so we can return to getting interesting vehicles. Not to say that the Maverick is particularly innovative or even interesting to me, but I think it's a step in the right direction, development-wise.

Interesting. We'll find out if it worked or if Ford simply rushed something to market or if it worked soon enough.

I do think the Maverick is fairly innovative, there is nothing else exactly like it and it also appears to be hitting a market that was largely untapped.

The automotive industry has a long long history of bureaucrats and bean counters defeating good ideas. It must be human nature, look at Hollywood, when was the last time anyone came up with anything new ?

The article is a marketing fluff piece.
Next thing you know they'll be telling you they are 'moving at the speed of trust' or some other blather...

The automotive industry has a long long history of bureaucrats and bean counters defeating good ideas. It must be human nature, look at Hollywood, when was the last time anyone came up with anything new ?
If you have seen one Hollywood movie you have seen them all.

They failed on the interior.

22_FRD_MAV_53136.tif

most of these automotive CEOs have no background in vehicle design/engineering. Their job and knowledge is to just make money.

The article is a fluff piece for sure as the Maverick is a niche front wheel drive unibody Cute-Ute (Ford Escape) turned into a pickup. Ford knows it won't be a big seller so they can afford to cut some steps. You can rest assured that if this was the bread and butter F-150 this streamlining process would not even be up for discussion as the risk would be far too great.

Back