Mattress

Lately I’ve been waking up with brutal lower back pain that eases up in a few hours. I’m thinking it’s time for a new mattress. Long story short does anyone have any suggestions. Firmness, adjustable bed etc. I’m 160 lbs and can sleep on anything but this morning back pain is getting to me. How often do you change these things? I think mine is about 6 years old.

6 years old isn't that old for a mattress. Are you doing other things that might cause back pain? I know working from home and sitting too much is doing bad things to my back.

I know mattresses can be very expensive. I don't suffer from back pain at all, but a year or two back, we got a memory foam from costco that was much better than anything I've ever slept on before. Now this isn't a $2000 mattress, just what they call a topper, that is 3-4 inches tall. If you struggle with back pain and don't want to shell out big bucks I'd at least try that option.

I once had some crippling type back pain that I swore was some damaged muscles, ligaments, etc.. Turned out to be spasms (involuntary muscle contractions/tension) that only required a muscle relaxant to set everything straight.

I can sleep anywhere, on anything and prefer a very firm mattress. They should last a decade or more, especially if you rotate and flip them annually.

Just went through buying one a few weeks ago.

First of all, if you go in a lot of furniture stores(whether or not you buy from them) they have fancy tools that analyze you and make firmness suggestions based on how you lay on the mattress. The "trained" people will also listen to things like back pain, etc. Even if not buying from them, it's useful information to guide your further shopping. We ended up with a "medium" spring/memory foam hybrid, and I have to say it's super comfortable and perfect for me.

Also, this isn't directly related to your question, but if you do go to a traditional furniture store, know that buying a mattress is a lot like buying a car and nearly all prices are negotiable. We ended up with a $2200 sticker(mattress only) floor demonstrator model(which is an option) for $1600 out the door(incl. sales tax) including the box springs, delivery fee, and some of their required ad-ons(protector, etc), all of which at retail to to buy were an easy extra $500+. You probably can't go that cheap if buying a non-demonstrator, but there's still a whole lot of room in the higher end ones.

That's all I have.

My wife has been through two KING size foam mattresses in the last 5 years. At 160 pounds, you should be good, but just a little over 200 and they become questionable on durability. Particularly if they start out on the "soft and comfy" side.
Flippable mattresses are pretty much a thing of the past. It's much cheaper (and profitable) to make the foam never flip kind. You can spin them 180 deg. but that only helps a little bit.
I ended up with two nice ones for the guest rooms. One is a "Hotel type" discontinued model for $500. Everybody loves it, but it is a bit firm for me. Those who are back sleepers or use CPAP can handle firmer mattresses.
I'm a side sleeper. I use a HYBRID mattress that has both foam and springs, has a bit of give to it. Got it from Mattress Firm for about $2000.00.
Edge support is very important, look for that. It's holding up very well.
My wife's mattress was replaced under warranty once since it had sunk an inch and a half in the middle....still cost over $3000.00 difference!
I'm just not happy with all foam durability.

Look at Inofia on Amazon. I bought a full mattress a year ago-and it's great.

A mattress at 6 years old can be lousy-especially if it's around the $400 range.

My wife has been through two KING size foam mattresses in the last 5 years. At 160 pounds, you should be good, but just a little over 200 and they become questionable on durability. Particularly if they start out on the "soft and comfy" side.
Flippable mattresses are pretty much a thing of the past. It's much cheaper (and profitable) to make the foam never flip kind. You can spin them 180 deg. but that only helps a little bit.
I ended up with two nice ones for the guest rooms. One is a "Hotel type" discontinued model for $500. Everybody loves it, but it is a bit firm for me. Those who are back sleepers or use CPAP can handle firmer mattresses.
I'm a side sleeper. I use a HYBRID mattress that has both foam and springs, has a bit of give to it. Got it from Mattress Firm for about $2000.00.
Edge support is very important, look for that. It's holding up very well.
My wife's mattress was replaced under warranty once since it had sunk an inch and a half in the middle....still cost over $3000.00 difference!
I'm just not happy with all foam durability.

Only if you sit on the bed to put on your shoes-or are very frail-other wise-no it's really not that important.

First I would have to ask how old your are. My back started bothering me when I was in my late 30's (herniated L4). I had a water bed at the time so got rid of that and went to a sleep number bed which we still have but neither of us sleep in it much any more, at first it helped a lot though. We also have a fairly firm pillow top but that seems to make my back ache more but the wife loves it. A lot of times I end up on my couch.

At 62 now the only thing that helps me is regular visits to the chiropractor, hate all you want but it's kept me from having lower back surgery for over 20 years.

I’m 69. No issues until just recently. I did sprain my back years ago while attempting to flip my mattress. Can’t win sometimes.

We've got a queen sized memory foam mattress. It's 10" thick. 6 of foam and 4" of latex gel. I mail ordered it off Amazon over a year ago for around $200. Super comfy for all sleep positions for me and the bride, but you can get hot where you sink in. Its held up so far and I'm 220lbs.

I refuse to cheap out buying mattresses.

A high quality plush mattress can give better support than a poorly made firm mattress. I wouldn't go plush in your case however.

Some mattresses will have heavier springs in the middle to give you more back support where more body weight is present on the bed. Restonic pioneered it. Some other brands offer such mattresses now. I highly recommend you visit a Restonic dealer if you local to one.

My wife and I bought a spring mattress earlier this year that has nano coils. If you can afford such a mattress, it is worth checking into.

A good website to look at mattresses is USMATTESS. I started a thread on a guest bedroom mattress several weeks ago and bought
this mattress in cal-king for my guest bedroom. It is plush but has more support in the center for back support.
My in-laws loved it.

I’d like a new one as the Sleep Number we have has never been great and is probably 8 years old now. From my research, any mattress under $4000 is going to be trash in less than 10 years as they are all built to a price point. I don’t want to spend a fortune so I’ll probably try a Costco mattress and just figure I’ll replace every 5ish years.

Our Casper was good for about 8 years,but I am 6'2 280 and a side sleeper. Just got another casper a couple months back.8 to 10 years is agood run for any mattress

I’ve had lower back problems for about 15 years now. My back can go from great to completely out where I’m totally immobilized. I’m not kidding, excruciating pain. All I’ve ever been told by Dr’s, chiropractors, and friends or family is to make sure and use a firm mattress. Well, in my case a softer mattress has made a huge difference.
Most mornings I would wake up and have to hobble around the first few hours of the day. Couldn’t stand to be on my feet for more than 15 minutes then I had to sit down to get relief. Last fall we bought a new mattress which I guess is a hybrid. It has a memory foam top. This is great because it doesn’t create any pressure points. For me this has been the best solution I’ve found. But of course everyone is different. I don’t know what causes your specific pain. For me it was my lower back being slightly arched while being in bed all night. Stiffer mattresses Cause this. I absolutely cannot sleep on my stomach and barely on my side. Makes my back go out. But this new mattress has me waking up almost completely pain free and I’m a lot more productive in the A.M. now

Thanks to all for your replies. Visiting my son for a week. Very curious to see how I’ll feel on a different mattress. We’ll see.

My personal preference is for foam mattresses. I like true latex foam a lot. About a medium firmness.

I'm sure you already know about foam mattresses in a box. Casper, Purple and others. Costco sells at least 2 brands, both of which are much less expensive than conventional locations. $599-699 for a Novaform King sized mattress in a box, and $799 for a Casper king mattress in a box. Both are really comfy.

Back