Matt Snider teaches when to do a OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see anything about soot or varnish. The lesson is to change your oil based objective data. Unfortunately, we can't readily get objective data at home unless we spend $25 to send our used oil out for analysis. Short of that, mind the maintenance light on the light so you don't change your oil too frequently or not frequently enough.

You didn't see the 2nd and 3rd samples of tick oil sticking to the wall of the glass, resulted from soot and varnish? That's when he said that is overdue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Ah, you attribute the worn out oil to soot and varnish.

No, HE does.

Arcographite isn't made for about 35 years now. And it didn't stick to glass wall like that, even though it was back/silverish in color.

Personally I don’t see this as a lesson as much as I see it as a corporate image building tool probably politically based (pushing the green initiative) and pimping their oil life system.

I personally cannot stand any of these so called condition monitoring rain making Rube Goldberg type systems because they measure and quantify nothing of relative value.

In the absence of an actual full spectrum lab report I would recommend the car owner to periodically conduct “field tests” of their oil. (Obviously not a substitute for the real thing but more than good enough for at least a legitimate SWAG in regard to your actual oil in your specific application)

(Pay attention as you suck it out because there will need to be a little bit of make-up oil required) Also, none of this is expensive enough to prohibit the average home mechanic from getting these few basic tools and add them to their collection.

I would recommend:

Buy a vampire or other extraction device and pull a hot sample. (Not expensive and you can get the tube small enough to fit in the dipstick tube and there are other ways to get in the sump)

Purchasing a decent microscope and visually inspect it for particulate contamination

Perform the blotter test and compare it to the base
Perform the basic crackle test

If you want to go real high tech go to an industrial supplier like McMaster Carr and:

Buy a SS sieve in the micron rating you want and pour it through it

Get a hot plate, candy thermometer and manual viscometer and run your own test

Go to a company like Dexsil and get the field titration kits that match your needs and use them. You can run checks for glycol, TAN/TBN and all sorts of good stuff.

I do this in the field (labs unfortunately take time and often I have to make situational judgments) and for myself personally and it’s a very effective method to get a functionally accurate condition assessment on both a machine and the lubricant.

Plus you can get everything for around $300 and other than replenishing the kits it will never wear out and it will pay for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back