Matrix Motor Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to this site and very excited about reading the various articles; great information coming from some experienced individuals. Here is my question, while on EBay recently surfing and browsing through some various merchandise and ‘OPJ’; {other people’s junk}, I wandered upon a synthetic oil that I have never heard of; Matrix Synthetic Motor Oil? Perhaps others have and would kindly share any information? According to the EBay and the Matrix site that I found depicts it is sold from Houston, Texas! It claims to meet API Service Category SM, SL, & SJ, complies with ILSAC GF-4 requirements and is rated energy conserving EC.API, SM4, [link removed] On Ebay it can be purchased for $48.00 for 12 quarts, with free shipping? Perhaps it could be worth looking at or perhaps not?

Thanks

LumpyMeatLoaf

Last edited by a moderator:
First off,
WelcomePlane.gif

Now second, perhaps you should rethink that username. It's clearly not a rules violation (you'd be amazed at how many of those we've filtered out...), but do you really want a name that immediately makes people want to
BirdBarf.gif

As to the substance, I've never heard of this oil. I'll have to dig into it some. We'll see where it goes.

One more thing: normally the rules would require that I remove that link. We do this out of fairness to those in the oil business who sponsor this site. They certainly deserve to NOT have links to competitors right next to theirs, when they're footing the bill.

That said, I'm going to leave this one, at least for now, as I assess the importance of looking this stuff over and discussing it, to slightly outweigh the competitive concerns. I will obviously defer if the owner wishes to overrule my decision.

Welcome to the board, lumpymeatloaf. We welcome your curiosity and discussion on lubricants. Technical information on any oil is okay to discuss here. Where we draw the line is links to any marketing information on lubricants. You can link MSDS and product data info. Otherwise, we can go ahead and discuss Matrix Motor oil.

Friends of mine have an '04 and they are running Amsoil SSO 0w30 for the full 25K Miles (not KM) with an EAO filter and have been doing so for the last 5 years without any ill effects in case you are interested.

Failing that I would use Pennzoil Platinum. Asian engines seem to like it, it's a very good Syn and the price very seldom can be beat for the performance you get.
wink.gif

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

agree... why go with an unknown when walmart has name brands with known reputations (and UOA's) here! but of course, we welcome the challenge to explore and learn - thats why this all was started and why we waste time here!!!!

I was over in South Carolina several weeks ago and stopped at a Wilco Hess on I-95 to fill up. There was a guy in a really sporty car and he was adding a quart of oil to it right beside me. What made me notice this was the unique shape of the container. After he drove off I pulled it out of the thrash can to check it out.
Now Im not into dumpster diving but I was curious. It was Matrix MX4 10W 30. The container stated "fully synthetic". I figured it was a "house brand oil" so I threw it back in the thrash. Maybe I should have checked it out a little more.

Product Specifications
API Gravity @ 60 °F: 33.7
Sp. Gr. @ 60 °: 0.8554
Flash Pt., COC: 405
Pour Pt. -40°F
Viscosity, cSt @ 40 °C: 60.1
Viscosity, cSt @ 100 °C: 10
Viscosity, SUS @ 100 °F: 279
Viscosity, SUS @ 210 °F: 58.8
Viscosity Index: 145
TBN (min): 7.0
Sulfate Ash, Wt. %: < 1.0
Phosphorus, Wt. %: 0.0768
Matrix spec for Syn 5/30

Looks to be OK. I like trying new oils but have 300 plus qt's in my stash so not sure I will give it a go. You never know. LOL

I could not find any links to sales I don't understand why the site was taken down????

Thank all of you for your gracefulness Elkpod. You have made me feel warm and welcome. Now concerning as my handle goes, ‘filtered out’ could be conceivably rephrased to perhaps ‘attacked openly’! It is a handle in which was given to me years ago before I retired from the US Army, and I thank you Elkpod for your comments and concerns. However, I will keep it with pride; Not everybody has a world-beating toe-tapping pastoral handle like Elkpod….

StevieC, I have considered both Amsoil or Schaffer’s synthetics; only my GM warranty is holding me off. I would love to see a head to head comparison of the two. I feel they are great products.

One other thing, as far as I can remember, I never said that I intended to use this oil! I only was enquiring if anyone has heard of it? Presently, I am already running Pennzoil Platinum in my vehicles and I really don’t plan on changing to a no name. The reason I asked in the first place is that some people are naturally nosy to new products and automotive supplies; especially oil products that are being distributed from the Houston Texas area! Also new products from time to time are willing to take a loss if one is coming out into the market place, so therefore I was curious; ‘My Bad’.

Also, as far as being a competitor that is one’s views’ especially since one has never heard of it in the first place; as I merely listed the link for conveying a reference point only. I apologize for the mistake I will not let it happen again, if I decide to participate in the future any time soon. If one doesn’t at least look at new things and remains stifled the world would still be flat…..Like I said, Perhaps it could be worth looking at or perhaps not?

Gentlemen, I thank you for your comments, some were refreshing and others interesting to say the least.

LumpyMeatLoaf

Schaeffers meets GF-4/SM specifications. Same with Amsoil "XL" line. No warranty issues with thoses.

Thank you for the information, I will check it out. However, the last time I checked the GM approved oil list September 08, neither was listed. I don't want to give anyone an excuse not to warranty a 2009, if something goes wrong. I will email GM next week.
Thanks again

OH, the GM special list right? I didnt think about that. Sorry. 6094M. I edited this but I pulled that out of my butt. I don't know how I remember that.

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
GM 6094M is an ILSAC GF-4/API SM oil that has a cold pumpability of 40,000 cP at -35C for 5W-30/5W-20, 50,000cP at -30C for 10W-30, or 30,000cP at -40C for 0W-30. Typically it only applies to 5W-30 oils.

I looked up the Schaeffer data sheets.
5W30 has 22,400cP at -35C
10W30 16,200cP at -30C
This is for 7000 series oils. They exceed the spec. Well. I suspect Amsoil would have no problem meeting this either.

I find it amusing how almost no one on this site will ever step outside of their little box and try something new. They will bash a product before ever trying it or even reading about it. I understand having a favorite and/or sticking with a product you like but to instantly say no to a product when all the person asked was to have a discussion on it is laughable.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
I find it amusing how almost no one on this site will ever step outside of their little box and try something new. They will bash a product before ever trying it or even reading about it. I understand having a favorite and/or sticking with a product you like but to instantly say no to a product when all the person asked was to have a discussion on it is laughable.

I do try new things all the times as long as it is free, or at least it costs a lot less than known brands. Why should I pay the same price for no name while I can get brand name with good record ?

Currently, I have FAR Peak oil in my '94 LS400. Also, I'm running M1 0W20 in '00 MB E430, the recommended grade is M1 0W40.

I found this information. Without trying to be castigated but how many lower priced synthetic oils meet these requirements? Especially meeting MB and VW standards? According to what I read the VW caught my immediate attention;

Matrix Formula MX4 5W-40 may be used over a wide temperature range. It also permits easier cold weather starting, improves engine life and efficiency, and helps minimize engine friction at start-up.

Recommended for all major automotive gasoline engines, used in passenger cars, light trucks, powerboats, motorcycles and other mobile and stationary equipment, including those equipped with superchargers which call out a API SM, SAE 5W-40.

Meets API Service Category SM, SL, & SJ

Meets the requirements of ACEA A3/B4-04, BMW longlife-01, Mercedes-Benz MB 229.3, 229.5, Porsche / Volkswagen VW 502.00 / 505.00 nad VW 503.01

I just might try it in my 1994 Nissan and run an oil analysis.

Just wanted to post here instead of starting a new post.

I got an e-mail from these Matrix guys last week and thought it was unusual for me to get an e-mail from out of the blue for motor oil. I wondered who it was and where they got my addy from.

Has anyone used it?

I'll have to admit that I'm kind of set in my Amsoil and Pennzoil Platinum ways when it comes to oils but I never tell my friends that those are the only two brands to use.

Originally Posted By: Edmond
Just wanted to post here instead of starting a new post.

I got an e-mail from these Matrix guys last week and thought it was unusual for me to get an e-mail from out of the blue for motor oil. I wondered who it was and where they got my addy from.

Are you an Amsoil dealer or a customer of (perhaps) a/an particular Amsoil dealer? If you're a dealer you can be pulled right off of Amsoil's dealer locator on line.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1630901#Post1630901

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back