Massive storm here

In my area winds are reaching 186km/h, it's 2:30 AM and no way to sleep, stuff is flying around and my roof makes all kind of noises. Maybe this kind of wind isn't that big of a deal for you guys on the other coast of the atlantic. What's the worst you usually have ? 186km/h is the record since 1987.

This sounds like trees all over the road and no going to work tomorrow morning...

Have you lost electric power? Stay safe
Not anymore, no power and no generator.
Be glad you still have a roof or home or somewhere to go for work. After the storm here,some had nothing.
Saw that many times on TV. I can just try to imagine. Usually the aftermath of our "storms" are boats piled up in harbors and destroyed piers.

Pretty much all strung on poles too since i don't live in the city. It always takes a while to get fixed since i'm not even in a street but in a house surrounded by corn fields. Closest house is almost a kilometer away so i'm low on the company's priority list.

One trick an Uncle of mine used after an ice storm knocked out power for more than a week in Rochester NY U.S.A. was he went to a hardware store and bought a lot of garden hose. He connected them in series and put a lot of them in the rooms he wanted to keep warm enough to be able to stay in, turned up the thermostat on the gas water heater and trickled a flow through the hoses that ended in the bath-tub. They still had to wear coats but the pipes did not freeze, and they were able to live in the house for more than a week without electricity. Then after a week a neighbor got power back but he was not yet able to get the lines to his house fixed, but the neighbor let him string a line from there house and they had limited power.

So M119, If it is cold where you are at, and your water-heater is gas without the modern forced fan (or will still work without electric) then you might look for several hundred feet of the lowest cost garden hose at the hardware stores. You do not need the expensive stuff because you will not be attaching a restriction to the end and there will be very little pressure in the hose.

It works best if you can attach the beginning of the run of hose to a pipe that connects to the normal hot water outlet of the water heater. The drain on the bottom of the water heater is near where the coldest water that is in the water-heater is because the cold water sinks to the bottom. So if you do this, it is best to not use the drain connection on the bottom side of the water-heater.

Last edited:
In 2011 there was a once-in-hundred-year storm here. Wind took out hundreds of trees, many residential streets blocked, city without power.
I had to dig my way out of my driveway because of all the junk blown about. Wind had to be below 100mph though, but, had 2 story church
shielding our house from the North.
Next door neighbor, who had bought electric gardening tools "for the environment", didn't fare well, power being out and all.

It was weeks before all the trees and debris was cleaned; local arborist had a huge pile of cut wood that took a few years
to sell off. All the roofers were booked solid for two years.

We had some winds approaching 100 mph last month. Quite a few trees down and power out for many people for days. I hope you come through the storm unscathed.

I had to convert 186kmh, but that’s 115mph. Stay safe out there! Had a storm rip through in 2011 like that. Lots of uprooted trees, surprisingly few power lines down.

Here in the state of Texas, it really depends on how close to the coast you are. If you live within 20-30 miles of the coast, you'll get wind like that if a hurricane comes though.

I'm a little under 200 miles from the coastline and most of the time I'm happy for it, except when driving down there to go to the beach.

On a side note, did some extensive touring in Brittany a little over 10 years ago, some by bicycle. Nice place, pretty, friendly people, fantastic food. It was cold for August but I didn't mind since I was coming from Texas. Enjoyed Brest and the walled city in Saint-Malo, also Mt St Michel. I swore at the time I'd be back soon but I haven't been, unfortunately. Vacation time is finite.

In my area winds are reaching 186km/h, it's 2:30 AM and no way to sleep, stuff is flying around and my roof makes all kind of noises. Maybe this kind of wind isn't that big of a deal for you guys on the other coast of the atlantic. What's the worst you usually have ? 186km/h is the record since 1987.
That's equivalent to a Cat 3 hurricane here in the US.

Here in the state of Texas, it really depends on how close to the coast you are. If you live within 20-30 miles of the coast, you'll get wind like that if a hurricane comes though.

I'm a little under 200 miles from the coastline and most of the time I'm happy for it, except when driving down there to go to the beach.

On a side note, did some extensive touring in Brittany a little over 10 years ago, some by bicycle. Nice place, pretty, friendly people, fantastic food. It was cold for August but I didn't mind since I was coming from Texas. Enjoyed Brest and the walled city in Saint-Malo, also Mt St Michel. I swore at the time I'd be back soon but I haven't been, unfortunately. Vacation time is finite.
Glad you had a good time here!
That's equivalent to a Cat 3 hurricane here in the US.
Fortunately it was very localized on the coast, i think we had 130 or 140km/h max where i live and there was no big harm. I was able to go to work but there was a tree on the road every 300m but it was cleared by 10 AM. Half of the telephone lines are still down and i guess they still don't have power everywhere on the coast.

Back