Massive Fire at Shell Refinery

4A1D8F51-9519-4FD4-BFF0-2222F2BB37A2.jpg

Awesome. I'm sure we'll see a spike in prices, just as I'm about to drive 800 mile round trip at 10mpg.

Yeah but "Summer driving season."

I just allocate more money for gas. Seems to be the thing that makes me the happiest, honestly.

Those fires can come out of nowhere.. We have some serious problems in this country, it just never fails.

I can get the hyperbole and anti oil company sentiment common at bigtog but I can assure you oil companies do not purposely set fire to their refineries. Let’s be happy there were no serious injuries.

Of course they wouldn't. It would be either a legit accident, or saboteurs?

Last year, it was as if some group was going around setting fire to Walmart and Target DCs.. these things seem almost on cue. And if you remember about the recent egg thing after news of what they can do.. of course it's "out there" however I don't exactly believe anything to be outside the realm of possibility.

I don't know what caused the fires so I'll stop there. Sure does seem to have impeccable timing as always, though. Gas prices going down? 🔥

Alpha-olefins are used in the production of polyethylene plastic for packaging and bottles,

as well as engine oils, industrial oils, and drilling fluids.

Yeah, fuel prices were creeping down again and it was about time to stage something to have an excuse to hike prices.

Next up: more staged "shortages" in the stores.
It's a good idea to have a large stash of oil bought either at clearance prices or at prices you deem to be very low,
so you won't be affected by short term price increases over the next year. I currently have 14 five quart jugs in my stash.
If born on date is on container, I sort by that, else I sort by purchase date (so I use the oldest oil first).
Currently will only add to my stash for super low clearance prices, like the Tractor Supply clearance sales. I have no preference for any particular brand, as long as it's 5W-30 Full Synthetic or preferably Full Synthetic High Mileage oil, and selling for a very low price.

Last edited:
I always thought that oil refineries had to have protection in place to mitigate this type of thing.

Back