Mary Barra takes first ride in driverless car.

The CEO's job is to maximiae the wealth of the shareholders. Musk has done a pretty job of that, wouldn't you say?
If your idea of maximizing wealth is lying to the public and shareholders about technology then sure. I expect CEOs to not make up false promises they know aren't going to happen, and to not say outlandish and stupid things to pump up stock, that should be a prison sentence. Elon Musk said verbatim "Tesla is so far ahead of everyone else nobody could produce an electric truck before we do." Well Rivian, and now GMC have handed production electric trucks to customers. Where's the Cybertruck, oh thats right maybe in 2023 it'll show up.

The beauty of self driving cars is, they can operate on the same set of parameters. No more boneheaded moves.
They will only be as good as the boneheads programing them. Case in point; programed to roll stop signs.
Ed

Such bull****! I have a dear friend in her mid-nineties who has trouble driving. An autonomous car in her garage would be very helpful. It would allow her to go shopping, visit friends, stop at the bank, etc. It would allow her to maintain her independence a bit longer.

What about people with disabilities? Do they not deserve the same freedoms non-disabled people have? It might also be useful to safely take the kids to school or to various events as well.

A bit more than a year ago I had minor knee surgery and was on crutches for a few days. I was visiting a couple of friends in Nevada, and we went out to dinner. Their Tesla was parked way at the far end of the large parking lot. I sure appreciated the car being summoned to pick us up after dinner.

Of course, we want to be sure the technology functions well and safely, but relegating it to ferrying drunks home from the bar is a serious underutilization of its potential and shows a rather myopic perspective in regards to the usefulness and potential of the technology.
Uber/Lyft :)

Even with humans ready to take over at a moment's notice it didn't stop the first pedestrian death from a self driving vehicle here in Arizona. And the human backup driver was looking at their phone too! This tech will NEVER EVER WORK. Not in 10 years or 100.
I want to know who's going to be charged with manslaughter when a self driving car kills someine. I'll bet the insurance companies and lawyers will be going to crazy when that day comes.

Uber/Lyft :)
With Uber/Lyft one is still dependent on others to get around and is relegated to driving with strangers (the driver). An autonomous car in the garage would allow the same, or perhaps even greater, freedom available to others who can safely and readily drive themselves.

I suspect that you're a person who has yet to experience the diminishment of your abilities after years of being able to do what you want when you want, but that day will come, and it will be interesting to see how you handle it both physically and emotionally.

Can Tesla just fire Musk and send him back to South Africa where he's from? Sounds harsh but nobody on this forum could break promises or make up stuff like Musk does and keep their job. I can bet a billion dollars that "Robo taxis" don't be come reality next year.
Nobody on this forum could break promises or make stuff up like Musk does and keep their job, but someone living at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue sure can and has done a lot more damage than Elon ever has.

Color me skeptical but I am highly doubtful that GM's AP system or any others that are currently in development will be able to compete with Tesla. They simply do not have the trillions of bits of data that Tesla has accumulated nor the kind of computing power that the Dojo system will have. Sure, the Tesla system still has a long way to go. But does GM have the kind of capital to invest in just that one aspect of modern vehicle features ? They will be hard pressed to even market a competitive EV in the next 5 years.

Mary Barra is a prime example of identity politics being applied to the workplace. Give her a couple more years and we'll see if her tenure as CEO has been good for the shareholders and consumers or only accomplished making a small group of people feel good.

How many pedestrians did people kill in Arizona last year? More than one, I'll bet.

Self-driving vehicles will kill people. So do human drivers.

99 percent of our pedestrians out here in Phoenix deserved to be hit. They are completely unpredictable and irresponsible, as they are methed out of their minds or completely oblivious to traffic conditions. I have seen tweekers and street rats dart out onto busy main roads, ride bikes and push shopping carts into oncoming traffic, cross major intersections diagonally, and everything else in between. I cannot envision a self driving car accounting for this kind of pedestrian behavior and making split second decisions in such scenarios.

99 percent of our pedestrians out here in Phoenix deserved to be hit. They are completely unpredictable and irresponsible, as they are methed out of their minds or completely oblivious to traffic conditions. I have seen tweekers and street rats dart out onto busy main roads, ride bikes and push shopping carts into oncoming traffic, cross major intersections diagonally, and everything else in between. I cannot envision a self driving car accounting for this kind of pedestrian behavior and making split second decisions in such scenarios.
It would seem humans aren't exactly reacting flawlessly to those scenarios: https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...pedestrian-death-rate-country-why/3511850001/

From the article:
"Data analysis shows pedestrian fatalities have increased from 155 in 2014 to 220 in 2019 — a 42% increase, though 2018 had the most pedestrian deaths during that time frame with 245 fatalities."

With a fatality count of one, it would seem self-driving cars have a lot of murdering to do before they are anywhere near as dangerous as human drivers.

It would seem humans aren't exactly reacting flawlessly to those scenarios: https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...pedestrian-death-rate-country-why/3511850001/

From the article:
"Data analysis shows pedestrian fatalities have increased from 155 in 2014 to 220 in 2019 — a 42% increase, though 2018 had the most pedestrian deaths during that time frame with 245 fatalities."

With a fatality count of one, it would seem self-driving cars have a lot of murdering to do before they are anywhere near as dangerous as human drivers.
"Google" says Arizona has 2.4 million registered vehicles and has 600 self driving cars. The math says that human drivers would have to kill 17 times as many pedestrians as they do to be as dangerous as self driving cars.

Ed

Back