Mary Barra takes first ride in driverless car.

Something to take into account; GM is heavily run by US government since the 2008 bailout. Research the payments made over time and you will see US Govt is 51% or so owner. Elon is on his own!

I do not have a Tesla and don't want one either. And I get Elon is a little out there...but I respect his moxie, probably the softest way to state it. Love or hate him, this man has done a lot up against political giants.

Allowing a car to drive without someone in the driver's seat and in control is insanity.
Is it really better to have certain humans behind the wheel? It would be interesting to see some data showing at which percentile of the population the person actually makes the situation worse. It might give us the warm and fuzzies to have a person to blame if things go bad, but we're going to have to let go of that at some point. That's not to say today is the day for it, but it will come.

Is it really better to have certain humans behind the wheel? It would be interesting to see some data showing at which percentile of the population the person actually makes the situation worse. It might give us the warm and fuzzies to have a person to blame if things go bad, but we're going to have to let go of that at some point. That's not to say today is the day for it, but it will come.
Human error is at least partly responsible for like 98% of every automobile accident. That is a pretty low bar to beat.
But to drive any of today's "autonomous" vehicles without someone in the driver's seat ready to take over is insanity.

This was nothing more than a Mary Barra publicity stunt, trying to be like Tesla.
I give her credit for acknowledging autonomous driving, but it should be on a private track like other companies do.
How many other idiots will be emboldened to do this on public roads?
This is just as bad as the GM truck commercial that played during last weekend's football playoffs.

Allowing a car to drive without someone in the driver's seat and in control is insanity.
In another video, it was noted that there are/were people in remote locations overseeing the operation of the self-driving cars.

A Tesla going 60 mph in the far left lane brake checked by brother. (flow of traffic 70+) He was close but not annoyingly close.

I told him that Teslas, especially on autopilot, have conservative parameters for braking distance. And that Tesla was acting like it's on autopilot.

Brother passes cars gets in front of Tesla, then slams on the brake for a moment....Tesla's brakes light up. Tesla fades away in the rear mirror.

I did not approve. But did lol.

A Tesla going 60 mph in the far left lane brake checked by brother. (flow of traffic 70+) He was close but not annoyingly close.

I told him that Teslas, especially on autopilot, have conservative parameters for braking distance. And that Tesla was acting like it's on autopilot.

Brother passes cars gets in front of Tesla, then slams on the brake for a moment....Tesla's brakes light up. Tesla fades away in the rear mirror.

I did not approve. But did lol.
Following distance is programmable. Sorry, but your brother sounds like an .... He is a key reason we need driverless cars.
Driving is serious business, not a joke. I guess it was a good test of the AP, but just the same...

Last edited:
So the car is not driving itself? If so, CEO Barra is lying through her teeth, sorry to say.
They're overseeing it in the same way a human sitting in the driver seat but not operating it actively would be. The computer is still doing the driving, the human is to intervene in case something goes horribly wrong

They're overseeing it in the same way a human sitting in the driver seat but not operating it actively would be. The computer is still doing the driving, the human is to intervene in case something goes horribly wrong
Is it like a call center, a building full of cubicles with staff overseeing the cars?

Were those old time cable car trolley things driverless?
No, those things required a skilled operator, called a gripman. They were tough to operate.

Also, a train that is driverless and fully automated is usually referred to as a "people mover", they are extremely common at airports.

That's ridiculous. Dangerous. Stupid dangerous.
How can a remote operator see what is going on and react quickly? Put someone in the driver seat with their hands on the steering wheel.
Again, this is a stupid, irresponsible, dangerous publicity stunt.

Back