Marvel Mystery oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: vintageant
Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
demarpaint

i will start a new thread for my MMO and TCW3 observations.

Look forward to this!

Yes. Thanks John!

I do agree that there is little reason to add additives to modern oil in sound running vehicles. I certainly would prefer that engines are factory clean (which mine appear to be through regular oil changes), but so long as the engine is running ok, in friend's and relative's engines, I have not been tempted to use additives and indeed even declined a complimentary engine flush on a friend's vehicle that had light sludge. I'd rather the oil take care of the "problem" slowly and I usually end up recommending oil with more detergents / more frequent oil change intervals.

While in some cases of additive use no doubt a sound diagnosis of an underlying issue was performed, I suspect that is the exception rather than the rule. Most decisions to use an additive appear to be made for emotional reasons or gut instinct rather than sound mechanical reasons. I certainly don't understand those who will add additive X without fail because that's what they were taught a long time ago or that's what they've always done.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
MMO was a great product when oils were not as good as they are now. I used in in every oil change in the 80's to keep my engines clean. With modern oils i'm not sure you need it. Perhaps if you have an engine in which oil changes were neglected mmo might really help clean it up. With modern sm/sn oils i don't think you need it in the oil as a preventative like in decades of past.

+1

I use it to super clean crank cases. and help snow burds get their generators running smooth again... i have 2 quarts left and i probably wont buy more... but it really cleans up a motor when oil isnt doing it fast enough lol

Originally Posted By: aa1986
I do agree that there is little reason to add additives to modern oil in sound running vehicles. I certainly would prefer that engines are factory clean (which mine appear to be through regular oil changes), but so long as the engine is running ok, in friend's and relative's engines, I have not been tempted to use additives and indeed even declined a complimentary engine flush on a friend's vehicle that had light sludge. I'd rather the oil take care of the "problem" slowly and I usually end up recommending oil with more detergents / more frequent oil change intervals.

While in some cases of additive use no doubt a sound diagnosis of an underlying issue was performed, I suspect that is the exception rather than the rule. Most decisions to use an additive appear to be made for emotional reasons or gut instinct rather than sound mechanical reasons. I certainly don't understand those who will add additive X without fail because that's what they were taught a long time ago or that's what they've always done.

I lean towards oil additives being snake oil with a few exceptions. That's a whole other thread though.
When I acquire a new to me vehicle or I start maintenance on another vehicle I like mmo as a crankcase cleaner.
I want to start off with a clean slate. If no deposits are visible with my Milwaukee inspection device,or its minor varnish with no agglometed chunks then I leave well enough alone and start a routine.
If there is visible deposits,like my friends traverse,then rather than a bunch of short intervals I'd rather nip it in the bud with 1 or at the most 2 cleaning cycles.
The traverse seems to be one of the problem variety where the oil life monitor was what you might call optimistic.
It belongs to my friends wife. She got the great Canadian oil change's special whenever the light went off. So always conventional and too many miles.
When I started maintaining it there was enough accumulated mud on the top end I couldn't see valve actuation,though I could certainly hear it.
So I went a grade thicker and a litre of mmo and a 3000mile/5000km interval and used my trusty motomaster(rebadged tough guards)oil filter.
The next interval I inspected the top end through the fill hole and was happy to see cams. Even my buddy was in awe because he saw what we started with.
I used M1 5w-30 for the next interval and have used either m1 or PP since.
I also told them to either get the ecu updated or run a 5000 mile interval tops. Now the insides are spotless.
I've got an inverse oiler hooked up to a vacuum line on my charger. Believe it or not I can tell by how it performs whether or not the can is empty.
At full throttle I can't feel anything different however with light toe in throttle inputs the engine is more responsive. I've even had my girl close and open the valve and not tell me whether it open or closed and I get it right every time.
So that cans the whole placebo effect idea.
Especially on a cold engine. It's very noticeable then.
I'm not saying it makes more power but it certainly increases responsiveness.
So I do believe mmo has its uses. In older lawn mowers and trimmers I find adding it sparingly to fuel helps the engines run smoother.
I use a tc-w3 in every drop of fuel burned in every gasoline,and Diesel engine I own. I have proven time and time again that our generators run longer per tank of fuel and based on the astronomical hours I get from the air compressors I think it's use as an upper cylinder lube has contributed to their long lives.
I've never had a carb or fuel injection issue with its use. On the contrary. Everywhere fuel touches is clean,I've never had to adjust anything on the carbs,even when ambient temps fluctuate significantly.
Used as directed it can't hurt,and just what if an upper cylinder lubricant does exactly what it advertises. For the pennies it costs why not use it.
I've never fouled plugs using mmo,even when grossly overdosed,though the exhaust was smoky and the engine was a bit sluggish.
Everyone has an opinion. Personally I don't close my mind to something til I see for myself one way or another.
I also like money,and not spending it for no gain.
So yeah I may buy something like an oil or fuel additive once. If it doesn't show some kind of tangible positive result I will not buy it twice.
A product has to save me money for me to use it. Whether it's less maintenance,which is why I use synthetic oil,longer intervals means less per mile driven.
If a product doesn't work as advertised I don't buy it again.
It's just that simple.

I use it in the gas, always, and off and on in the crankcase. Great stuff. I have even used it to lube my Glocks.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: ron17571
The red bottle that looks like snake oil. My dad showed me an article where they developed it for radial airplane engines. The valves would stick when they tried to start them up. The valves would actually break.So this was the answer.
I found that if you had a stuck lifter or engine tick this stuff made it go away. I also had luck with getting old cars with a carburetor to run good when they had sat to long.My Chevy sat in a parking lot a bunch and this stuff really helped out. I think it is good for guns also.

Yeah,i put mmo in the search and got zip.Maybe i asked wrong.

Hello Ron

Welcome to bitog. Mmo is a very touchy subject around here. Some of us like and use the product,others play the snake oil card.
If you have a specific question about mmo please try the search function. I assure you it has been asked and answered many times however if for some reason you cannot find the specific answer you were looking for then please post the question.
Otherwise as I'm sure you'll soon see these threads turn bad,fast.

Your a new member,to an old site. Any questions you may think of have very likely been addressed here at some point in the recent past,so please try the search function when digging for info. If you can't find it there then posts it to the forum. I assure you that will save you some aggravation when looking for answers on this fine site.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I use it in the gas, always, and off and on in the crankcase. Great stuff. I have even used it to lube my Glocks.

+1 I wipe my shotgun and rifle barrels with it. It keeps them looking just like new, and rust free.

Originally Posted By: fog_cutter
I've been using mmo with 0W-20 Mobil 1 for 10 year, absolutely 0 problems

I had a college buddy back in the late 1970's early 1980's that had done that, it was something his father did. Till this day he still replaces one qt. of oil with one qt. of MMO. I helped him change a valve cover gasket on a high mile Toyota he owned when we were in college. The engine was as spotless. By today's standards conventional oil from that era was garbage compared to what we have now. If I had to guess it was the MMO that kept his engine as clean as it was. Just about every well maintained high mile engine that ran dino oil that I worked on from that era had varnish, some had sludge.

In all honesty I only use it when I need to, but if it works well for you I'd be the last person to tell you to do anything different.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I had a college buddy back in the late 1970's early 1980's that had done that, it was something his father did. Till this day he still replaces one qt. of oil with one qt. of MMO. I helped him change a valve cover gasket on a high mile Toyota he owned when we were in college. The engine was as spotless. By today's standards conventional oil from that era was garbage compared to what we have now. If I had to guess it was the MMO that kept his engine as clean as it was. Just about every well maintained high mile engine that ran dino oil that I worked on from that era had varnish, some had sludge.

In all honesty I only use it when I need to, but if it works well for you I'd be the last person to tell you to do anything different.

I used to use it in the 80's a pint in every oil change. My engines were always clean. I don't use it now unless i buy a used car of unknown history, or a know sludger.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I used to use it in the 80's a pint in every oil change. My engines were always clean. I don't use it now unless i buy a used car of unknown history, or a know sludger.

I'm somewhere between you and dp. Project cars or cars of unknown history get a dose or two. Cars I buy new after I reach 50K on the clock I add a pint somewhere around 1000-1500 miles b4 an oil change, if I remember. I've seen what it can do, I'm a believer.-RD

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

1) Probably a decent fuel system cleaner,
2) and flush for adding to oil just before changing it. This is assuming of course you have evidence of, or suspect a dirty engine.

Since it has a very low viscosity, I certainly wouldn't leave it in the engine oil as it might thin it down to much, especially if your oil is already a XW20 weight oil.

When the oils were low detergent oils such as SB through SF, it might have helped.

Modern oils have such high detergency I doubt you really need to use this in concert with an engine oil.

As for fuel systems, the more modern Redline SI-1 and Techron should take care of any fuel system and upper engine area cleaning.

True! But a super clean engine is, and in a 13 year old truck with over 300k miles on it and only had spark plugs and wires replaced, it has never been in the shop! Proof enough for me

True! But a super clean engine is, and in a 13 year old truck with over 300k miles on it and only had spark plugs and wires replaced, it has never been in the shop! Proof enough for me

A great product, with a ton of happy customers spanning almost 9 decades. My fav go to for ticks, taps, or a dirty engine in a project car or when helping a friend in need.

I see mentioning it gets a few of our members panties in a bunch though. HAHA-RD

^^ Lets see how long your
Trolling.gif
expedition lasts this time. 24 hours and counting......Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back