Marlins Ace Jose Fernandez Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17632541/miami-marlins-ace-jose-fernandez-dies-boating-accident

What a shame. 23 years old, already a star in MLB, with the whole world ahead of him. I guess according to the news he found out last week his girlfriend was pregnant so he was going to be a Dad.

Don't know the whole story yet but the boat he was on was found overturned and on a jetty at 3:30AM and showed signs of severe impact( speeding and/or alcohol involved somehow? ). Fernandez and 2 others all dead.

EDIT - 24 years old.

Last edited:
This is a weekly occurrence here in Florida, lots of boaters not using care and accidents will happen. Also people on jet ski get killed weekly.

Being a professional and risking everything a day before having to play is a cardinal mistake.Look at Tony Stewart doing Sprint Car racing on the side and injuring himself so he couldn't Sprint Cup race for weeks....Being a pro means being careful,dont do anything stupid and risky,to potentially ruin your source of income.

No drugs or alcohol involved.

Boat crashed into a jetty.

I know that particular inlet well (Government Cut). If you don't know where it is, there is a very good chance of running right into it. It's a very long jetty that extends off of Miami Beach. It is unmarked.

Aggravating the situation is the fact that the boat had its blue LED courtesy lights running at the time, likely causing night vision to be seriously reduced.

I have LED courtesy lights on my boats, but I always turn off the cupholder lights on the dash, and shift the courtesy lights to red (I can choose any color) when running underway.

Night time navigation is extremely unforgiving to the inexperienced, careless, and technology dependent.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Is there a night-time speed limit where the boat crashed?

No. That's ocean side. No speed limit on the ocean.

I've been out on the ocean at night in that area @ 50 knots. You need to have your eyes peeled, know your water, and be prepared for literally anything.

3 AM in the morning..excessive speed..no life jackiets... No alcohol involved bc they didn't find any bottles?...lol... Um do they have the results of blood/alcohol...no....lol.

Sorry...but it looks (to me) that their deaths were bc of reckless behaviour. He should have stayed in Cuba (obviously)

Last edited:
That's a shame really.

Happens on non-constant level fresh water lakes as well. As the water receeds, sandbars "rise" a foot within the surface and become dangerous at night and at speed to the unwary. Happened many times over the years on nearby lakes during low rainfall periods.

Directly from someone familiar with the area: that area is very dangerous. The jetty he hit is unlit, has few (if any) reflectors on it, and is totally invisible in the dark even on a boat with running lights on, unless it has a bow floodlight. (He is surprised nobody had hit it and died before now.)

Jar, agreed, but I can pick that jetty out, and unlit channel markers at night with the naked eye.

He should have gone out around the marker buoy. It's far off of the jetty, but at least you know there's not a jetty there.

I run boats at night out on the ocean while striper fishing around an unlighted inlet that has a very similar rock jetty extending out( actually 2 - both sides of inlet ). The only light is from the nearby city and it is just a faint glow. You have to go slow and pay attention when it is dark out there. It isn't the inlets fault it is the fault of whomever was running the boat and speeding.

More info coming out on this. I no longer feel sorry for those who died in this boating accident. My sorrow and sympathy is now solely directed at the families left behind. These idiots who died did this to themselves.

Fernandez not only had cocaine and "multiple other substances" in his system but his blood alcohol content was 2X's the legal limit( .147 ). Neither of the other 2 were beyond the legal limit for alcohol but had been drinking( strong odor of alcohol reported on the bodies by those who recovered them ). One of the two others on Fernandez's boat tested positive for cocaine as well.

Behind the wheel of a car or boat it doesn't matter. Drinking and drugs + unsafe speeds = a bad idea. At least these idiots only hurt/killed themselves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Alcohol + cocaine = big trouble. All this could have been avoided.

Agreed and alcohol + cocaine + speeding at night in unlighted dangerous waters = even bigger trouble.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
No drugs or alcohol involved.

Interesting. Can I ask how you know that? What inside information did you have that brought you to that conclusion? Because the rest of the world just found out that he was drunk and on dope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back