Markup on wine in restaurants

What are they supposed to do??? When you leave the resturant still has an investment of $300,000 & up to recover, saleries to pay, utilities & insurance the lease etc. They need to make a big profit on wines etc just to make sure the monthly gross makes the nut.
If it bothers you, just stay home to eat

Who gets blamed if YOU cook it at home? No real difference.
That was my point.

If a restaurant provides the ingredients, they are liable. But if you provide the ingredients, they are likely not liable, even if they cooked it.

Just like most auto repair shops will not warranty their work if you supplied the parts.

Last edited:
That was my point.

If a restaurant provides the ingredients, they are liable. But if you provide the ingredients, they are likely not liable, even if they cooked it.

Just like most auto repair shops will not warranty their work if you supplied the parts.
Yeah, but I like bringing my own parts. Never have an issue that way. Sometimes I let them do it and it turns out they charge top dollar and use the lowest quality parts. I buy high quality parts and shop around for low price labor.

As for bringing your own food, never heard of that around here but there are places that will allow you to bring your own wine and they just have a corkage charge. I remember my boss use to do that, the wine he would bring was way better than what the restaurant had, but then he was a multimillionaire.

This thread is going in ⭕⭕
Agreed.

For someone who does not drink wine (or alcohol altogether), the concept of paying for drinks, while knowing they're heavily marked up, must be a bit strange. I suppose I can understand that. Hopefully others have explained the reasoning behind it. Whether it made sense to him - I guess he can tell us. :)

Agreed.

For someone who does not drink wine (or alcohol altogether), the concept of paying for drinks, while knowing they're heavily marked up, must be a bit strange. I suppose I can understand that. Hopefully others have explained the reasoning behind it. Whether it made sense to him - I guess he can tell us. :)
Naw, it's the same thing as paying $3 or $4 for a soda when you can get a 2 liter bottle on sale for $1 or at least $1 for a large soda at McDonalds. Just part of the experience and the cost of eating out at a restaurant.

OP seems to only drink tap water, no ice. :)
Oh yeah, whenever I go out with a group, I always get a soda but there's always a few that will get a drink, beer or wine and then there's always one or two who only get tap water and no ice. The ice can be bad if they don't clean the machine often enough, or that's why they say they get it without ice. If it's a big group, there's always one or two who has 3 drinks and then is happy to split the tab evenly with everyone and scowls when it's suggested that each pay for whatever they ordered.

Back