Marketing language gimmicks

I find marketing gimmicks in language to be odd or funny at times, yet the language persists. For instance, tire stores that have "blowout" sales. Or people/companies selling a product and they exclaim, "Won't last." These have very negative connotations. Similarly, companies (particulary car and electronic companies) which seem to every season have ads exclaiming, "We overbought, our loss is your gain, inventory clearance events...". I hear this and think they are either habitually dishonest liars or inept at business if they constantly overbuy. Or both.

There are surely others. What do you see that is an odd tactic or puzzling marketing?

I used to love the Jay Leno Tonight Show bit where he solicited viewers to send weird advertisements or marketing that had photos that did not match the ad, or funny misprints or mis-spelled words, etc.
If you want 30 minutes of funny, watch this or more.

I love the pet food marketing such as “new improved flavor!” What did they do, ask the pets to fill out a survey or talk to a customer service rep?

“All natural” is the one that makes me cringe the most overall. It’s really approaching being meaningless.

You never end up paying the price marked on the item at Kohl's. Everything is perpetually on sale and you get discounts every time you shop there, no special requirements. They're essentially marking everything up and then marking it down, which seems like a giant waste of time. But apparently it works on some people.

I love the pet food marketing such as “new improved flavor!” What did they do, ask the pets to fill out a survey or talk to a customer service rep?

“All natural” is the one that makes me cringe the most overall. It’s really approaching being meaningless.
Like tomato or cranberry flavored beet? I was always quite happy with plain beer taste.

People are now calling themselves "natty" even if they are juiced to the gills, sporting a bubble gut and a moon face.

Back