Marine Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1985 Volvo-Penta AQ125A which was "mothballed" for several years. I changed the oil right before the boat was put into storage and the oil appears to be clean and fresh upon inspection. A mechanic checked the outdrive and engine and found both to be in great condition so we’ve started using the boat. The engine runs good as new, idle-WOT. However, before it gets much use, I would think an oil change would be advisable. The engine has always (since new) had Valvoline 10-40w and has had no issues at all with engine temp, oil consumption, pressure, etc. My question is: Should I a) stick with the same oil that’s been in the engine since day1 (conventional Valvoline 10-40w), switch to something that might give better lubrication at high rpm such as Valvoline Dura-Blend 10-40, or switch Valvoline VR1 40w racing?

If the 10w-40 has been working for you, I guess you can stick with it. I would be wary of how a 10w handles dilution. If temps allow, I might try a straight 30 HDEO, or otherwise a 15w-40 if temps require, as mentioned.

I don't think you really need a racing oil or semi-syn in that particular engine.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Delo or Rotella or Delvac 1300 15w-40 oil.

+1 a HDEO 15w40 will be more robust and less expensive. You can get it at any Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back