Margin of Error with UOA reports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at a few UOAs and a few VOAs and I noticed on some the Boron was 124 for M1 and another it was 235. We also saw the VOA with the Amsoil as low as 900 for ZDDP. If there is this much descrpancy with these numbers, how is that playing into the results we are getting from the UOA's? Can these $35 reports really be that accurate? Dave from Redline also has stated that using a UOA to compare one oil to another is not a valid method.
confused.gif

There are dozens of formulations. The bottom line is wear. I posted an analisis in the Diesel section a few weeks back that showed different forumlations of a diesel oil in a Cummins engine, all similar in wear. The first change to an oil with 150 ppm of Boron will normally only show 120 to 130, as there was still some oil in the engine. changes to moly oils are similar. But there is also a big range in the formulation. Delo (both Isosyn and Synthetic have these ranges
Phosphorus 1290-1570
Zinc 1440-1740
When you have had more than 3 oil changes with a given oil, you will see much more constant numbers (until there is a formula change).
But they will also change slightly with your driving habits during the specific period and the weather.

quote:

Originally posted by widman:

But they will also change slightly with your driving habits during the specific period and the weather.

The weather is something you can monitor, but the driving habits is subjective and should have some type of pre-defined method for quantification.

[ December 26, 2003, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: vettenuts ]

quote:

Originally posted by widman:
There are dozens of formulations. The bottom line is wear. -*-*

That's it in a NUTSHELL. This says it all. No further comments necessary. Bottom line, watch and trend the wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back