March 2021 Global EV numbers.

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
From a telserati link. Would like to see any other data points anyone might have.

Top-20-Models-1.jpeg

Is the push for electric vehicles a result of Chinese lobby money? Electronics, battery assembly parts, etc ? It makes you wonder .

I think it's the other way around, the push for electric vehicles was an opportunity for Chinese manufacturing. They didn't really break into the ICE engine market, in fact a lot of chinese cars use foreign (designed) engines.

Is the push for electric vehicles a result of Chinese lobby money? Electronics, battery assembly parts, etc ? It makes you wonder .
I seem to remember reading the push is to reduce the horrible smog in the cities.

I'd get an electric, if it wouldn't cost me $5,000 just to install a charger in my space in my building's basement parking garage.

Where is my hydrogen-powed car that I can fill up at a fuel station in a few minutes?

I would have guessed the Bolt numbers would be far higher...
That was my thought too. The Bolt is really a pretty good car, not too small, has plenty of power and is available at a good price.

I'm thinking aloud here, but I wonder if GM's, long term, less than stellar, small car reputation is partly to blame? For years, people avoided GM's small cars with good reason...

I'm not sure it's on sale outside the north america, Jeff
They are all over the place here. And, as @Cujet sez, you can get them at a really great peice.
My next door neighbor is on her 2nd Bolt lease and her 3rd EV lease overall.
Their other car is a Lexus NX hybrid.
Susie test drove our Model 3; she likes her Bolt much better.

What I meant was, if the Bolt is mainly on sale in the US, it will appear more prevalent compared to cars sold all over the wolrd in similar numbers... Same as the BMW/mercedes I fall over every time I get out of the house, but also is sold in relatively low numbers worldwide.

People want different things from their cars, I'm pretty sure I would prefer a Model 3 myself. it puts the E in sexy after all.

Certainly the push in China was to export the pollution from the cities into the countryside by using coal fired electric plants to generate power to charge the electric cars. It was also a no brainer because the plants already existed. All they had to do to to generate power 24 hrs per day to charge the cars that were plugged in at night. Way better than trying to import crude oil or gasoline.
The other thing is the pollution was so bad the masses were getting restless. No one is more afraid of that, than the Chinese communist leadership. :)

Last edited:
Back