Map of every EV charging station in the USA

A few blocks from me, in Los Gatos CA, there are 2. Netflix HQ and a Roku office. Both charge for free. But I don't work there.
And this map sees to be missing a bunch of Tesla chargers near me. Maybe I'm viewing it wrong.

So Tesla uses a proprietary connector?
Yes.
1666924029598.jpg

I'm about in the middle of the big purple county in California. Notice there are ones along I-15 but not many south of it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221027-193138.jpg
    Screenshot_20221027-193138.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 7
They have the largest charging infrastructure right now.
And charging at a (Tesla) Supercharger is pretty much foolproof. You plug it in and your EV charges. They put the charges on your tab and you're billed at the end of the month.

I'm told that other providers make charging more complicated and even then it can be hit and miss.

On our 4,100 Km (2,500 miles) trip this past summer we found a total of 1 station (at an 8 station Tesla Supercharger) out of order. I've heard stories of other providers often having stations out of order.

Wow. I had no idea that you would have to locate a Tesla specific charging station.
It's my understanding that Tesla offers adapters for their charging cable that allows Tesla owners to use other charging networks. and it appears that there are aftermarket adapters as well.

You don't, they come with a J1772 adapter for standard public chargers.
There are 3 types of Level 3 charging systems. It would be better if there was only 1 system but that's not the case. There is the (Tesla) Supercharger system, the CHAdeMO (Japanese) system and the CCS (largely European) system.

You can buy a CHAdeMO adapter from Tesla, which would allow you to charge a Tesla at many non Tesla Level 3 chargers, but the adapter is fairly expensive. And I have the impression that this system is the one most likely to disappear over time.

As noted on the link above provided by Shel, Tesla has just started offering CCS adapters. But my Tesla would need to have some retrofitting to use one. There are also aftermarket CCS adapters but they have been quite a bit more expensive than this new Tesla brand CCS adapter and are reportedly somewhat hit and miss.

In any case I've done just fine using my at home Level 2 charger (which provides 90% of my charging needs) plus Tesla Superchargers when on trips. I haven't tried any of the other level 3 system adapters and for the moment don't feel the need for one either.

Last edited:
It's about what I expected to see. If you live in the bulk of flyover country, pack a sleeping bag if you want to go anywhere. Keep your fingers crossed. And don't drive too fast.

If you go north or south in the dakota's the stations are few and far between. East and West on Interstate 90 there are quite a few chargers. My BIL charged his Tesla in Chamberlain and it cost him $30.00 he said. The trip was from Sioux Falls SD to Chamberlain SD which is about 135 miles. That's quite an expense for a short trip.

I am not a fan of electric vehicles. Not yet anyway. But have a question. When charging what is stopping someone else removing the charger from your car and charging their car on your dime? Question is for knowledge purposes only

Don

It's about what I expected to see. If you live in the bulk of flyover country, pack a sleeping bag if you want to go anywhere. Keep your fingers crossed. And don't drive too fast.
It's not too bad. On our long trip across western Canada we had to think about our route and where the next Supercharger station was located. You only charge up enough to get to the next Supercharger with a bit to spare. We aimed for 15%. The pros aim for 10%.

The reason for limiting your charge is because charging near the bottom of the battery is much faster. While on route you would never charge to 100%. That would take way too long. Making up some representative numbers: Going from 80% to 100% might 20 minutes. Going from 20% to 40% might take 5 or 10 minutes.

And you take advantage of your overnight stops. You pick a hotel near a Supercharger. You plug in, set the car to charge to 90% and head to your hotel room for a cold beer. When the car is charged your cell phone tells you and you park your car, ready for a long first leg in the morning.

There is a whole different mindset to driving an EV efficiently. I someone asks "how long does it take to charge the car?" the best answer is "how far do you want to go?"

I am not a fan of electric vehicles. Not yet anyway. But have a question. When charging what is stopping someone else removing the charger from your car and charging their car on your dime? Question is for knowledge purposes only

Don
You have an account with Tesla. Whenever you charge, the cost is billed to your Tesla account. It has nothing to do with whose vehicle was being charged just before.

With a Tesla when you lock your car the charger is locked in place. The same is true of the adapters. The adapter is what is connected to your car, so it is the thing that is locked in place whenever you lock the car.

So even if someone did somehow unplug you and plug in their vehicle, Tesla would just bill their account.

You have an account with Tesla. Whenever you charge, the cost is billed to your Tesla account. It has nothing to do with whose vehicle was being charged just before.

With a Tesla when you lock your car the charger is locked in place. The same is true of the adapters. The adapter is what is connected to your car, so it is the thing that is locked in place whenever you lock the car.

So even if someone did somehow unplug you and plug in their vehicle, Tesla would just bill their account.
I wasn't very clear with my answer. A Tesla vehicle communicates with the charger, and the cost of charging for that vehicle will be billed to that Tesla owner's account. That makes charging a snap - you plug it in and it charges. Tesla sends you a bill at the end of the month.

If the owner of a Tesla doesn't have an account, I assume the Supercharger wouldn't let that Tesla charge.

So as far as Tesla is concerned noone can charge their car under your/my account? That is a good thing then. Is it the same for the rest of them? Just seemed like somebody could pull the plug from your car and charge their car. I didn't know that the charger could actually identify the car/owner

Don

Wow. I had no idea that you would have to locate a Tesla specific charging station.
The year will come where where all charger plugs will be standardized. Which standard they chose we will not know. Not sure how long that will take but I assume not to long now that Europe has opened the door to dictating this type of thing with the recent iPhone legislation.
Starting in 2024 iPhones have to use standard USB-C charging ports. Apple indicated all iPhones will go back to the USB-C ports and they are not happy about it, either am I.
The lightening port was such as sweet plug, effortless and a nice advantage to the iPhone. Oh well ... I guess time will tell what they choose for automobiles and dont count on it being the best.

Back