Many or most tires listed on DT site not in stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you noticed that most of the tires listed on Discount Tire's web site are usually not in stock? Most of them say "available in 3 to 5 days." This is not a problem if you know you're going to need to replace your tires soon, but what if I blow a tire and need a matching replacement? I guess I'm just SOL in this case...

Originally Posted by grampi
Have you noticed that most of the tires listed on Discount Tire's web site are usually not in stock? Most of them say "available in 3 to 5 days." This is not a problem if you know you're going to need to replace your tires soon, but what if I blow a tire and need a matching replacement? I guess I'm just SOL in this case...

If you blow a tire and need a matching replacement, you should be scouring the local used tire places.

Another site is simpletire.com

Many discount vendors can offer low prices because they do not maintain expensive inventories. Which, of course, makes them unsuitable if you need to buy something that is in stock and immediately available.

They wouldn't be the only one. Most tire shops do that now. Walmart, Pep Boys, Firestone, Big-O/NTB/Tire Kingdom, the regional tire chains, Costco, they all do it. They can't keep every tire in every size in-stock at every shop
21.gif

If you blow a tire and need a matching replacement, use the spare until the matching tire comes in. If you don't have a spare, get one
smile.gif

Last edited:
Heck, I have a full set of 4 brand new tires in my garage, for when I need to replace the next set on either of my two cars. Almost positive they'll end up on the Fusion.

I was there yesterday and overheard their phone call that the tires can be delivered within 1 day or 2 days at the most.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
I was there yesterday and overheard their phone call that the tires can be delivered within 1 day or 2 days at the most.

That depends on how close that store is to the supplier.

They can't possibly keep every tire model of every make of every size in stock at every store. They physically do not have the room to stock it all. What they most likely do is have warehouses spaced around where they keep the large majority of their inventory and the individual stores keep the most popular selling tires for their area in stock.

Originally Posted by grampi

I had that same question when I bought the final set of tires for my 89 Accord. The DT stores weren't carrying too many tires to fit 14" wheels anymore. They told me that if I had a road hazard replacement they would have to put another tire on the car until the matching tire came in and then they would install that tire. Sounded like a real PITA to me so I ended up buying the final set at Sam's. I'll never do that again.

Have you noticed that most Discount Tires are not attached to a warehouse big enough to carry every tire they have available in every size?

Tire shops have almost always worked this way. They have a tire or two in the most common sizes generally in stock. Everything else comes from the warehouse/distributor. Every tire seller does it a bit different - and Discount appears to run its own distribution rather than working with local warehouses - thus the couple of days...

I was at Tireracks distribution center here in Minneapolis on Monday. The number of indy tire shops grabbing tires from here was impressive.

DT isn't the only site out there. I've had many TR tires show up the next day on a road hazard claim.

I've had good luck with my local DT matching the price of tires that are in stock with the same mileage warranty as the one you find on their website, if you don't want to special order.

They're likely in a deal with the supplier that they have to "offer" the full line even if they only keep some in stock.

If you think this is funky, check out Guitar Center's overhead and how many cheezy guitars they have to hang on the wall to stay an authorized dealer so they can sell a few mainstream ones.

Years ago, every tire dealer could keep every size/type in stock because there were only maybe like 50 different tires to fit everything.. Now, not including sizes there must be thousands of different tires, and sizes you would need to stock like TR does, and even they don't come close to having them all.
Just buy a car that needs something like a 205/65-15,etc. You can find them on fence posts saying "No Hunting" They even have white letters.
NOBODY makes a great 275/60-15 tire that I would love the find. They use to. I also wish I could find a good 7.00-20 inch tire for my 1950 Chevy truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eljefino
They're likely in a deal with the supplier that they have to "offer" the full line even if they only keep some in stock.

If you think this is funky, check out Guitar Center's overhead and how many cheezy guitars they have to hang on the wall to stay an authorized dealer so they can sell a few mainstream ones.

Music stores are different because those are floorplanned (like a new car dealership)

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by eljefino

Music stores are different because those are floorplanned (like a new car dealership)

Umm, it's about tires, not guitars.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Heck, I have a full set of 4 brand new tires in my garage, for when I need to replace the next set on either of my two cars. Almost positive they'll end up on the Fusion.

This.

Over the years I've figured out how quick our 3 cars go through tires and will order a set when they're on special and store them until needed for the next car on the list. This winter I'll probably pick up a set for my Acura as it will likely be the next one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back