Many elves spotted

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by ucandoit:
How can you tell if it is the green or gold without popping the cap off?

Look at the batch number printed in white ink on the bottom of the bottles.

All of M03XXXXXXXX and M04XXXXXXXX (bottled in 2003 and 2004), and the M05010XXXXXX batches are green. Any newer batches (>M05010XXXXXX) will be the "gold" GC.

Thanks
smile.gif

Well I hit an AZ on the way home in NH..they had a whole bunch of the 0W30....no yellow label stuff...all GC. The first one(top rack again ugh) was the Gold juice. There were probably about 15 qts on the rack and I was able to pull5 of the green out of it...M03 and M04
smile.gif

One of the guys there asked me if I needed a box or something due to all the Syntec laying on the floor...I said naw, I found what I needed and would put the others back(which I proceeded to do) Had him check out back but all the 0w ws on the shelf. He said he only gets a case or 2 at a time of it because no-one ever buys 0W. He thought I was a little nuts about green oil etc....lol

Anyways, 1 more AZ in my immediate area to hit after I bring my wife to the airport tomorrow.

Jeeez...I hope my Toyota Matrix likes this stuff

5 Green, 4 Gold so far...

Got 4 Premium Plus L14476 filters to mate it with(2 for 5 bucks at Pep Boys)

Sort of fun actually looking for the green stuff

Thanks Andy- Found 4 qts at an Auto Zone in Danvers MA. It was the gold but figured why not.

I had to dig to the last 4 qts on the rack though...I must have pulled 15 bottles off(of course it was on the top rack)

Pretty much the only diff between the gold and green color? Different blending process or additive package?

I have 2 more Zones to hit tonight
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ucandoit:
Jeeez...I hope my Toyota Matrix likes this stuff

5 Green, 4 Gold so far...

LOL, I can relate. I had something like 25 quarts of the green GC before ever even trying it in my STi. Thankfully the STi and GC seem to get along just fine.
grin.gif

"Jeeez...I hope my Toyota Matrix likes this stuff"

I have this same engine in a 2000 Prizm. The oil has about 2000 miles at this time and it has been sweet. Smooth idles, excellent HT/HS properties allowing for reving this engine without worry. I've made two trips from Yuma,AZ to San Diego and had 35mpg each trip goint 70mph. An improvement over M1 that was giving 32-33mpg. I personally think it has to do with the 10 mile stretch up the side of the mountain where you go from sea level to 3500 feet. The M1 just didn't stack up. The GC handles this at 70mph wihtout a hiccup .... smooooooooth I tell you!

To say the least, I've been impressed with it's performance thus far in this "hot" engine.

Thanks for the info guys! Yeah, you are right, it is the same engine! Buzzy little thing, hopefully the GC with smooth it out a tad
smile.gif

Well I couldn't help myself. I hit 3 more Auto Zones today. 1st one had all Gold GC. Dropped my wife off and hit paydirt on the 2nd! 17 qts of M04! Glad my wife wasn't in the car...don't think she would have liked to see me carrying out all that oil...lol They had 1 bottle of M02 but it was dented and leaking a small bit so I left it with 2 yellow labels. The 3rd was all Gold also.

That brings my total so far to 22 Green and 4 Gold. I want to get at least 6 more green so I have enough for 7 oil changes. I drive over 30K a year so my changes come quicker than most. Supposed to be a 5k interval but may push it out to 7500.

Well believe it or not, I have discoverd another AZ near me to check out...maybe I can find 6 more to reach my goal...madness isn't it?

I have a pretty decent stockpile at 87 quarts. Unfortunately I wasnt paying too much attention and had 6 quarts of gold mixed in.

I changed out the stock oil today at 1820 miles, the oil came out with plenty of fine metal particles in it from break in. Added 4.5 quarts of gold GC for the next 1500 miles and saved a sample so I can send it out and see how ugly the metal particulates are in the UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back