Manufacturers putting turbo 4-bangers in SUVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loving the little 2.0 liter turbo in our 4,000 lb SUV.

We recently went to the Grand Canyon, and Flagstaff, AZ. That 2.0 turbo was a gem out on the open road. Passing other vehicles was a breeze even when going up hills.

Originally Posted By: 3for3
Loving the little 2.0 liter turbo in our 4,000 lb SUV.

We recently went to the Grand Canyon, and Flagstaff, AZ. That 2.0 turbo was a gem out on the open road. Passing other vehicles was a breeze even when going up hills.

When those hills turn into mountains, turbo engines shine more. They don't lose power as rapidly as NA engines thanks to altitude compensation built into the programming. Most of them offer the same power from sea level up to about 10,000 feet or so. Yeah, the turbo works harder as the altitude increases. It's meant to.

Originally Posted By: B320i

At least 6 cylinder lives on in the European vehicles for now. However, smaller displacement and (very) high pressure turbo-charging is commonplace.

Well this is definitely the case for automotive engines. Back in the 80s, factory turbo pressures were set as low as 5psi and as high as 12-14. Now they're quite up to 17-18psi standard. Part is due to the DI (latent heat, chamber cooling) and another part due to Miller cycle operation, where pumping losses are reduced via retarded IVC (cam) timing and charge efficiency increased by a higher pressure charge losing more heat to the IC than it would at lower boost pressures. This whole approach becoming standard has led us to new challenges like LSPI phenomenon that wasn't even a consideration in 2006.

On a side-note B320i, are there a lot of ZF Ecomat transmissions used in the AUS bus fleet? I love those musical buggers!

God bless America I am not clairvoyant and know all cars and trucks manufactors and what they make or how they have been made.... thus... the question.... I haven't known jack you know what about Subaru since I was 5 yrs old riding in one my dad bought. With him drunk at times. Lots of fun there. The Subaru did great handling the ditches he drove into with me in it. This having been stated, it's interesting that these have been "so common" evidently. Another question I have us how are these turbos cooled?? Again, because I'm curious. And I really don't know how that's accomplished.

By the way, where I live it's not common to see many hooptydoo Subaru vehicles on the road. It's more of a Lexus, BMW, MB, large American SUVs which one usually sees around here.

Last edited:
Interesting perspective listening to the Car Pro - more or less says you can make good use of Subaru AWD in flat country too ... (Little to no snow)
I had to laugh - I use 4WD dealing with sand, dirt, mud ...
My wife wants AWD to cross a high speed unprotected intersection in the rain - or jump on stupid curved and short entry ramps with 75 mph traffic in the rain ... All lives matter .,.

Well that Subaru did great running into ditches and getting back out of them and back onto dry pavement. These ditches were about a foot to a foot and a half deep. It was impressive.
Now mind you when I was 5 yrs old we had a snowstorm of 18 inches in one storm. Plus several other storms that winter. We had a season total of 42 inches. A lot for SE Va. And yes, it helped keep my dad from getting stuck and potentially busted for drunk driving.
In thinking about this now... amazes me how he never got a drunk driving ticket. He did it all the time. Try this in for size... driving across a bridge covered in ice, wind blowing 35-40 mph, he's been drinking, and we are in a Pinto. Yes, a Pinto. I thought for sure I wasn't going to make it out of that. It's a funny story now. A perfect storm of all the worst things coming together in perfect synchronization to form a amazingly bad circumstance. Again, it is funny now. But it sure wasn't at the time because as a 12 yr old boy knowing what a Pinto was capable of.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
This is news on this side of the Atlantic since the U.S. consumers had cheap gas. However, CAFE is catching up and American manufacturers finally have to offer something to the driver that did not see light of day first time in 1956.
I have 4 banger CUV that loaded will hit 120mph and will outrun any Ford Expedition, Tahoe or similar SUV with obsolete V8 under the hood. I saw VW Tiguans with 2.0T engine in the U.S. with 200K and more, and in Europe I saw them with 2.0tdi engines making well above 300K. Take into consideration that while here concern is loaded CUV on 95f, add to that speeds of 100mph+.
So, everything will be fine guys, t is just that the U.S is catching up with the world.

"Loaded" to your SUV means "empty" to mine.

They're not obsolete. You're just never going to touch the capability of a real truck.

Try to carry what mine carries, and I bet you don't crack 30mph @ WOT.

Jesus [censored] man, I am talking about CUV and your answer is: My RAM with 6.7 diesel engine can carry higher load? No s... Christopher Columbus!
Real truck? When I see RAM I have a feeling it will disintegrate while in motion.

Well you're the guy who mentioned LARGE SUV's in your post..I'm just saying.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well that Subaru did great running into ditches and getting back out of them and back onto dry pavement. These ditches were about a foot to a foot and a half deep. It was impressive.
Now mind you when I was 5 yrs old we had a snowstorm of 18 inches in one storm. Plus several other storms that winter. We had a season total of 42 inches. A lot for SE Va. And yes, it helped keep my dad from getting stuck and potentially busted for drunk driving.
In thinking about this now... amazes me how he never got a drunk driving ticket. He did it all the time. Try this in for size... driving across a bridge covered in ice, wind blowing 35-40 mph, he's been drinking, and we are in a Pinto. Yes, a Pinto. I thought for sure I wasn't going to make it out of that. It's a funny story now. A perfect storm of all the worst things coming together in perfect synchronization to form a amazingly bad circumstance. Again, it is funny now. But it sure wasn't at the time because as a 12 yr old boy knowing what a Pinto was capable of.

Problem with today's Subarus is that they became victim of their own success. Here in CO they are first in the ditch, fallowing big trucks and JEEPs'.
It is the drivers who think that because they have Subaru, or truck, or JEEP when foot of snow hits, they are unstoppable, regardless of tires they have.
I have a coworker that had issue climbing this 8% incline to work. It is three lane busy road that it is notorious in winter. You really need good winter tires to go up in FWD or RWD. Going down it is really tricky even with winter tires sometimes. Anyway, she bought Subaru last year because she is tired of getting "stuck." i said fine, but when you get stuck, who cares. What about going down? Her answer was: what that has to do with my issues? And of course, last winter we had El Nino season, above average snowfall. She ends up running red light bcs. she could not stop. Luckily it was 11pm in the evening so she did not hit anyone. It was kind of rude awakening for her that even Subaru's AWD is as good as tires are.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
This is news on this side of the Atlantic since the U.S. consumers had cheap gas. However, CAFE is catching up and American manufacturers finally have to offer something to the driver that did not see light of day first time in 1956.
I have 4 banger CUV that loaded will hit 120mph and will outrun any Ford Expedition, Tahoe or similar SUV with obsolete V8 under the hood. I saw VW Tiguans with 2.0T engine in the U.S. with 200K and more, and in Europe I saw them with 2.0tdi engines making well above 300K. Take into consideration that while here concern is loaded CUV on 95f, add to that speeds of 100mph+.
So, everything will be fine guys, t is just that the U.S is catching up with the world.

"Loaded" to your SUV means "empty" to mine.

They're not obsolete. You're just never going to touch the capability of a real truck.

Try to carry what mine carries, and I bet you don't crack 30mph @ WOT.

Jesus [censored] man, I am talking about CUV and your answer is: My RAM with 6.7 diesel engine can carry higher load? No s... Christopher Columbus!
Real truck? When I see RAM I have a feeling it will disintegrate while in motion.

Well you're the guy who mentioned LARGE SUV's in your post..I'm just saying.

He mentioned "truck." As for SUV's, 90% of people who buy Tahoe or similar vehicle never use full potential. I used them a lot on very long trips in my previous job (always 7 people, packed baggage, sometimes below feet, sport team traveling), and after several years came to conclusion that Toyota Sienna does job much better.

Originally Posted By: bbhero

Problem with today's Subarus is that they became victim of their own success. Here in CO they are first in the ditch, fallowing big trucks and JEEPs'.
It is the drivers who think that because they have Subaru, or truck, or JEEP when foot of snow hits, they are unstoppable, regardless of tires they have.
I have a coworker that had issue climbing this 8% incline to work. It is three lane busy road that it is notorious in winter. You really need good winter tires to go up in FWD or RWD. Going down it is really tricky even with winter tires sometimes. Anyway, she bought Subaru last year because she is tired of getting "stuck." i said fine, but when you get stuck, who cares. What about going down? Her answer was: what that has to do with my issues? And of course, last winter we had El Nino season, above average snowfall. She ends up running red light bcs. she could not stop. Luckily it was 11pm in the evening so she did not hit anyone. It was kind of rude awakening for her that even Subaru's AWD is as good as tires are.

That is true.

The best safety feature is between your ears and sadly - most drivers can't drive lol

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
On a side-note B320i, are there a lot of ZF Ecomat transmissions used in the AUS bus fleet? I love those musical buggers!

Off-Topic
Since around 2005/6, the ZF EcoMat, and eventually EcoLife have been relatively commonplace in the metropolitan bus fleet here in Perth. Volvo B12 (artics) and B7's (rigids) have been Voith, although new B7's arriving now have ZF.

Prior to 2003, most vehicles came with Voith or Mercedes W3 transmissions.
Voith was in our Renault PR100.2/PR180.2 buses, obviously the latter in Mercedes buses!

The Allison B400R has seen service with around 10-15 high-floor O405's after their original W3 died: following the installation of a new throttle-body CNG injection system years ago.

Ha ha!! That is funny. I agree 100%. Tires do matter a WHOLE LOT. I will never forget seeing this World Champion who got their 4 wheel drive truck into a small pond off the side of the road. We had 5 inches of snow that afternoon in a short period of 4 hrs. And I would estimate that cat had to walk at least 25 yards in water that was ice cold and over 2-3 feet deep. That was hilarious. I laughed so hard driving by that scene. I should've taken a picture of that truck out in the middle of that pond. Priceless.

Agree - the way I see these things - after a company gets "re focused" for this much money - don't worry about VW, they will get this right ... keep an eye on the rest of them ..

Originally Posted By: B320i
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol

Off-Topic
Since around 2005/6, the ZF EcoMat, and eventually EcoLife have been relatively commonplace in the metropolitan bus fleet here in Perth. Volvo B12 (artics) and B7's (rigids) have been Voith, although new B7's arriving now have ZF.

Prior to 2003, most vehicles came with Voith or Mercedes W3 transmissions.
Voith was in our Renault PR100.2/PR180.2 buses, obviously the latter in Mercedes buses!

The Allison B400R has seen service with around 10-15 high-floor O405's after their original W3 died: following the installation of a new throttle-body CNG injection system years ago.

Man, have you ever had opportunity to see HIGER buses? Chinese buses that they started to export. They have coil springs that are size of one on Honda Pilot, or Toyota Highlander. I could not believe when I saw that. Also, they export them without speedometer. Whoever buys them have to install them to be legal on road. 4 cyl engines, ZF, MB transmissions. Wait until Chinese [censored] starts coming.

Someone needs reading comprehension:

1. You brought up V8 SUV's.

2. I have a Lincoln Navigator, a V8 SUV.

What part of that do you not grasp?

He mentioned "truck." As for SUV's, 90% of people who buy Tahoe or similar vehicle never use full potential. I used them a lot on very long trips in my previous job (always 7 people, packed baggage, sometimes below feet, sport team traveling), and after several years came to conclusion that Toyota Sienna does job much better.

I guess nobody informed you that V8 SUVs are trucks, especially as almost all of them are built directly off of pickup truck designs?

Nothing you just said changes the fact that the only way your SUV is better than an "obsolete" V8 SUV is at being a car.

I guess nobody informed you that V8 SUVs are trucks, especially as almost all of them are built directly off of pickup truck designs?

Nothing you just said changes the fact that the only way your SUV is better than an "obsolete" V8 SUV is at being a car.

I feel like I am on Facebook and trying to flick past the recent election. Namaste you two......

I rent vehicles all the time. The Ford Explorer Ecoboost 4 cylinder has ample power, even loaded up. And it does not lose HP at altitude.

Does it, the Explorer Ecoboost, have enough power to be pleasant to drive? You bet! The fat mid range torque makes climbing hills, at highway speed, loaded up, a non issue.

Given the choice between a large, high performance V6 or a turbo 4, I'd choose the V6 and wish for a V8. However, Ford does an incredible job with the 4 cylinder Ecoboost engines, some of which are making well North of 300HP. The same as the 5.4L V8 in my F150! And, interestingly, the Ecoboost makes more mid range torque!

And, quite simply, the bigger of the 4 cyl Ecoboost choices in an AWD Ford Escape is a really lively and fun to drive vehicle.

Last edited:

Someone needs reading comprehension:

1. You brought up V8 SUV's.

2. I have a Lincoln Navigator, a V8 SUV.

What part of that do you not grasp?

Part that 2007 Navigator still drives.

Sorry, yes it is a truck, sorry, slow, obsolete engine and quality on par with first KIA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back