manuals on cd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gotElectronic manuals for several of my vehicles now. They are nice when you're studying up on how to do something, because there are hot-links that take you to all the disassembly steps that may be scattered in other sections of the manual.

But they're a little bit of a pain when you've actually got greasy gloves on out in the garage and you want to check something... though a friend of mine has a garage PC with a fluid-proof keyboard just for that purpose. Sometimes I just print the few pages I need and then throw them away afterward. I do like the old school factory manuals, though- the smell of the old paper infused with decades of grease and oil smells, the old 50s or 60s drawings and photographs- its all great. I was using the paper Factory Service Manual for my '69 this past saturday and really enjoying the trip down memory lane.

I see you got a MOPAR thing goin' on. Are your emanuals from Chrysler/Diamler-Chrysler/FCA or some other source.

Last coupla times I've gone into books4cars.com I've come out empty handed. Kira

I'm a retired electronics tech. I HATED it when schematics began coming on disks.

Reading service procedures is one thing. Trying to follow a complicated schematic (dam you RCA
spankme2.gif
) on a monitor is a whole new ball game.

Usually I had to print out what I wanted so nothing was saved.

Many electronics companies would offer a paper manual at an added cost then that option disappeared too.

I had a question for the ebay seller, here is his response:

"It will work with Windows 2000 / 2003 / XP. Will not work with
7/8/Vista/10.Will not work with 10. Thanks - Paul"

I guess this is not for me.

Originally Posted By: terry274
I had a question for the ebay seller, here is his response:

"It will work with Windows 2000 / 2003 / XP. Will not work with
7/8/Vista/10.Will not work with 10. Thanks - Paul"

I guess this is not for me.

This is beyond most average users, but you can use a virtual machine, basically its own OS running in a sandbox. Such as Windows XP, Linux, etc.

Seems odd to me. My sample size isn't that large, but the manuals I have purchased on CD were in pdf format. So, with Adobe Reader (or other pdf readers) I just browsed the CD and opened the manual.

I have a bunch of the Ford CDs from the 90s and early 2000s. It's true they will not work on Win 7 and up without a virtual machine drive.

They have all the info though.

Just an update, I bought the CD and it works great using the free version of Vmware Workstation on Windows 10. I am using Windows XP as the client.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back