Manual transmissioned electric car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check you tube for conversions of ICE cars to electric . Most of the time , I do not really think the tranny is needed . Especially if the motor is wired so it can run in reverse , also .

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Is there any merit or possibility to this?
Not usually. Tesla's, Leafs, etc., these days only have a 1-speed, fixed gear, no torque convertor needed either. No clutch needed of course! Electric motors make full torque at near-zero RPM. (IC engines have very low torque near idle, so you have to put a bunch of gear changes in there.)

A 2nd gear in an electric car can make some sense. You can get a higher top speed out of an electric car with a 2nd gear, but really that is solved by making the electric motor slightly larger, a cheaper & simpler solution than building a 2-speed gearbox. .... Not much shifting there to have your fun with if you did have 2 gears to play with.
For example, my Ford Focus Electric is limited to 85 mph with its 1-speed due to motor overspeed concerns. If I had a 2-speed gearbox, I could probably get to 110 mph; Not worth it.

Redneck it.

Manual transmissions existed to solve a problem of a narrow power band with internal combustion motors. I don’t believe the issue exists with electric motors because torque and power are linear to one another.

I think I remember reading our 2012 Leaf was limited to something like 94 MPH . Never haf it to that speed . I always reied to conserve battery power / range .

But it would get up and go , if you got in a tight and punched it .

The conversions I watched on you tube often used a DC fork lift motor . If they had enough batteries to supply enough volts & amps ( watts ) they could break the home / custom made couplers / adapters .

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Is there any merit or possibility to this?

Not really. The more torque you have the less transmission speeds you need. Electric motors are torque monsters and if sized properly don't need any transmission at all just a step down differential.

In theory , most electric motors produce max torque at 0 RPM . And the least torque at max RPM .

Some electric cars use an inverter to convert battery DC to a variation of 3 phase AC , I think .

Best I remember , our late Leaf had 3 power conductors going to the motor . Which drove a reduction gear system .

Reverse was achieve electrically by reversing the rotation of the motor .

To me , drift cars are a waste of time and money . But as long as it is some one elses time and money , knock your selves out .

The Tesla Roadster originally had a 2-speed transmission, but they replaced them all with single-speed due to reliability issues with the 2-speed

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Redneck it.

Manual transmissions existed to solve a problem of a narrow power band with internal combustion motors. I don’t believe the issue exists with electric motors because torque and power are linear to one another.

It all depends on the motor construction/design. There are some RPM limitations to electric motors due to both structural and electrical. You could probably save a bit of money on motor design if you mated it with a gearbox to reduce motor RPMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back