Manual transmission oil level

I have a manual 1.5 1998 Mitsubishi lancer that calls for 2.1 Liters of oil for the transmission, i have did some work on the car the oil had to be drained then added again but now i have no idea how much oil is in the transmission, How to measure the amount in it as there is no dipstick and checked the manual for someway and they don't mention it in the manual or i missed it .... anyhow is there a a way to check the level or do i drain the entire oil again fill a bottle with 2.1 liters and readd it to the transmission ?

Last edited:
99 times out of 100 you simply fill it to the level of the fill plug with the car sitting level. Fill till it just starts to dribble out and put the plug back in, job done.

Only time I could think of doing it some other way is if you were doing something like filling it through the shifter (If you couldn't get to the fill plug, or that's the way the trans was designed to be filled) in that case, you'd have to drop and measure.

it has a drain plug that i could reach under the car, so the level would be fine if it starts dropping some oil like points not like water from a tap?

There should be a fill plug on the side of the transmission, about halfway up. Sometimes this is covered in the owner's manual, of course it is always in the service manual.

The drain plug is only for draining. Always locate the fill plug and loosen it before draining, so you know you will be able to refill it.

Here is a video on doing a Mitsu manual on a 2001 Eclipse. It's probably very similar.

so the level would be fine if it starts dropping some oil like points not like water from a tap?

Right, it will fill and a drizzle will start coming back out. Stop filling, let the excess out, then re-seal and with a good new gasket. If you have a copper gasket there, you can re-anneal it and re-use it if getting a new gasket is difficult in your location.

He Espada,

Also, go back a day or two later and make sure you have no leaks from the drain or fill bolts. The gasket can take a set and the torque loosen up on the bolt, a gasket can be bad/have contamination on it (this happened to me), etc.

You are in Egypt?

The drain plug is only for draining. Always locate the fill plug and loosen it before draining, so you know you will be able to refill it.

This for sure. You'll swear and throw things like a crazy person the first time you drain one and can't get it refilled. Although, it can be done....buuuuut you'd rather not have to do it that way.

Back