Manual transmission Metal shavings on magnet

I bought my truck new. Flushed ALL the fluids around 2k. As far as the transmission is concerned I’ve been using redline mt90 every 30k. I’m around 130k now. Last service I added magnetic plugs to the drain and fill. I’m a little concerned with the amount of metal on them. Anyways, wanted to see what you guys thought. The one on the right is the drain plug so it’s naturally holding more. I wiped the fill plug clean to give a comparison of how much metal it’s holding. They two plugs are identical.

AD1D4869-9111-4DD1-9C6B-85AF43D5C565.jpeg
EF55DFB7-2813-426E-A195-4F2EF38726EA.jpeg
55D2EC2F-4FA3-4C62-97D5-E85E9E903ADD.jpeg

Perfectly normal. Here's one I serviced about a year ago, not certain on the miles but it operates perfectly.

plug.jpg

Is normal for break-in
Is normal for never serviced or rarely serviced gearboxes
Is normal for pathetic gearboxes grinding themselves to death

But, the threadstarter stated that its at 130k and serviced it every 30k after the initial 2k break-in change. So, I would worry and its not normal.

What year/make/model/engine, location/weather, and driving style?

If it requires GL4 75w90, I'd consider dumping it for Amsoil MTG, MPT M90, or Ford XTM5QS, run it 30k and see if anything changed.

Is normal for break-in

But, the threadstarter stated that its at 130k and serviced it every 30k after the initial 2k break-in change. So, I would worry and its not normal.

If it requires GL4 75w90, I'd consider dumping it for Amsoil MTG, MPT M90, or Ford XTM5QS, run it 30k and see if anything changed.
This was his first service with magnetic drain plugs.

Is normal for break-in

What makes those different from mt90?

Different brands, base oils, additive formulas.... whatever. If something doesn't seem right, then you move along. Brand loyalty is idiocracy.

We don't have the specific details but my Toyotas, Nissans, Mazdas... that all took a 75w90 GL4, never had magnets that were that bad in 30k miles.

I bought my truck new. Flushed ALL the fluids around 2k. As far as the transmission is concerned I’ve been using redline mt90 every 30k. I’m around 130k now. Last service I added magnetic plugs to the drain and fill. I’m a little concerned with the amount of metal on them. Anyways, wanted to see what you guys thought. The one on the right is the drain plug so it’s naturally holding more. I wiped the fill plug clean to give a comparison of how much metal it’s holding. They two plugs are identical.

View attachment 141964View attachment 141965View attachment 141966
not nessessarily normal, looks like the magnet is doing its job. Maybe next time, clean the magnets off and see how much metal you pick up in the drain bucket. If you dont pick up much i would remain with 30k, if you pick up a bunch, then change sooner perhaps....

whatr kind of truck is it? how do you use?

Is 90 weight correct?

Can you use motor oil instead such as AX-15 jeep tranny?

not nessessarily normal, looks like the magnet is doing its job. Maybe next time, clean the magnets off and see how much metal you pick up in the drain bucket. If you dont pick up much i would remain with 30k, if you pick up a bunch, then change sooner perhaps....

whatr kind of truck is it? how do you use?

Is 90 weight correct?

Can you use motor oil instead such as AX-15 jeep tranny?
2016 2.7 5 spd Tacoma. Manual says 75w90 gl4.

I would say in my above statement, if you can gather much material in your waste bucket, then reduce the OCI.........I would further say, that there are countless vehicles that of which see little maintainence, and get 200000 miles, and never change the tranny fluid.

So to the nature of you question: i think you are really asking "should you worry about it?" my answer is NO. You are doing more than 95% of people.

Perhaps a change in oils or viscosity would be in order, maybe mix a little 140wt....I am sure that is blasphemy here.

Back