Manual transmission fluid in Europe for Mazda

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car is a Mazda Protegé/323/Familia, from 2002, 1.6 ZM petrol engine, manual transmission (F25M-R). It has about 292,000 km. The transmission is getting a bit hard to put in 1 and 2 sometimes, especially when it's cold.

I'll be changing the clutch, and I'd like to change the transmission fluid at the same time. I've been reading a lot about different transmission fluids, but I just got confused, especially since most fluids are not available in Europe.

I was looking at Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90 and Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75W-90, but I'm open to other brands as well.

The Multivehicle one is especially interesting, as it's the only oil in Europe which has WSD-M2C200-C specs, the same as the "famous" Ford XT-M5-QS oil in the US. But it's not the same oil, specs are quite different. Yet, local Castrol dealer recommends the Transaxle to my car.

What would you recommend?

Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90
Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75W-90
Ford XT-M5-QS

I used the Ford fluid in my 124 Spider (same tranny as NC Miata) with great results on cold 1-2 shifts. Also heard good things about Motul and Ravenol 75w90, which although pricey, should be readily available in Europe.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the Ford XT-M5-QS isn't available in Europe, only for some outrageous price when importing from the US. Ravenol has so many 75W-90 oils that I don't know which one to choose.

I have no idea, but I'll be changing the clutch and the oil, and maybe it's enough. It still has factory clutch set at 292,000 km, so I believe the new clutch will help a lot!

Originally Posted by zsero
Unfortunately the Ford XT-M5-QS isn't available in Europe, only for some outrageous price when importing from the US. Ravenol has so many 75W-90 oils that I don't know which one to choose.

Just visit their website, enter your vehicle info in the oil selector guide, and the recommendations will help you narrow down the options.

Originally Posted by harbor

Just visit their website, enter your vehicle info in the oil selector guide, and the recommendations will help you narrow down the options.

Selector recommends these:

RAVENOL MTF-1 SAE 75W-85
RAVENOL TGO SAE 75W-90
RAVENOL VSG SAE 75W-90

I wrote them an email, hopefully they reply.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Motul Gear 300 75W90, especially if you can get it cheaper than the Ravenol.

I can get Motul Gear 300 for $17 dollar per liter/quartz, Ravenol VSG for $16, Castrols for about $13.

As you are in Europe you should be able to lay hands on Shell Spirax 75w90. Look for an API GL4 or GL5 MT1 rating. Motul and Liqui Moly are also worth a look.

If you are convinced the MTL needed is an SAE 75W90, here is a suggested list of gear lubes in SAE 75W90:

NOTE: This list is only a "suggested" list of MTFs. It is not an endorsement of any one fluid, nor is it implied that any one fluid will cure problems in MTs that have design problems or those that have excessive wear.

1. Amsoil MTG
2. Redline MT-90
3. Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90
4. Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75w-90
5. Ford XT-75W90-QGT (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)
6. Ford MOTORCRAFT® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid XT-M5-QS
7. ACDelco 10-4059 GL-4 75W-90 Manual Transmission Fluid
8. ACDelco 89021806 For use in MA5 manual transmission for GMT 345, GMT 355 Trucks and GMX 020 Cobalt Pursuit and G5 Passenger only. Caution: Rated at GL-3 (ExxonMobil fluid).
9. RAVENOL TSG SAE 75W-90
10. LiquiMoly 75W-90 GL4

Last edited:
If you go Castrol, skip the Multivehicle and go Transaxle.
They changed the Multivehicle something like a year ago, and it doesn't feel the same.

Thansk for the many comments. While I'm waiting for Ravenol's reply, so far my final list seems to be:
- Castrol Transaxle
- Motul Gear 300
- something from Ravenol

5.000kms after I have put 2 liters (the quantity I have managed to drain from the total 2,4 liter capacity) of Motul Gear 300 on my 170.000km transmition (sig. vehicle) and I have not felt anything changing for the better or worse comparing to the factory spec fluid (changed once at 90.000kms). But I trust Motul anyway...I hope you notice some improvement.

Last edited:
Hi, I just wanted to post some feedback about the oil + clutch change. The new clutch set + machined flywheel does make a huge difference, so I cannot say how much the oil change has contributed, but I'd say the feeling is more precise. Unfortunately there was no "magic" change, the shifting didn't become smooth, but everything feels more precise, also including the worn out state of the 1st and 2nd gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back