Manual trans fluid for 2010 kia forte 6sp

Does anyone have any solid recommendations on what to run in this transmission? I think it's a 75-85 gl4. Is that correct? The online manual I pulled up is very vague. It only states to change it at 60,000 miles. Thanks for the recommendations.

2010 Kia Forte owner manual
Manual transaxle fluid:
- 2.0 Engine 1.9l (2.0 US qt.) API GL-4 (SAE 75W-85, fill for life)
- 2.4 Engine 1.8l (1.9 US qt.) (ZIC GF TOP or HD GEAR OIL XLS)

In my manual cars I run RedLine MT90, and shifting is better than any other fluid I tried, such as Honda MTF, Pennzoil Synchromesh, etc. Just make sure to stay with GL4, as GL5 gear oils will eat up all the brass components inside the transmission. I also heard great things about RedLine MTL (lower viscosity than MT90) and Royal Purple Synchromax (with the magic Synerlec unicorn juice). I do plan to try both eventually.

motor raft has a manual transmission fluid loved by Miata owners. I put it in a VW GTI I had and it worked great. The fluid is made in Germany and PAO based when I bought it.

Redline for sure, as its a REAL synthetic Ester based lube. i use MT90 mostly but check their web site or CALL redline to talk to a real person!!

The ford manual trans lube is also quite popular amongst various groups. Does seem to work pretty well. However, it is spendy and only available from a Ford dealer.

redlines site shows nothing but you can call. forte forums some use redline mt85 a 75-85 GL4 lube, its spendy so shop around. the redline site shows its used in many Kias etc. i put ALL redline drivetrain lubes everywhere in my 2011 frontier sv v-6 6 spd manual + got a 3 mpg increase!!

I'd be worried about finding something and then having to change it again--I found that Redline MT90 (I think) was awesome stuff in our Camry--until winter hit. Took a few miles before one could change gears. Wound up with MTL and it's only so-so, ok to good in winter, tolerable in summer, but I can leave it in year 'round. Otherwise I'd have to change 4-ish quarts spring/fall.

That transmission takes GL-4 rated 75W-85, capacity is a hair under 2 liters. Go with whatever helps you sleep better, just make sure it's GL-4 rated.

I just put Redline D4 in my BMW. BMW manual transmission takes pretty much any MT or ATF fluid. I am seriously impressed. Fantastic fluid. Probably next time will try Redline MT-LV.

Nothing wrong with using the Hyundai/Kia GL4 75w85 MT gear oil. Nissan, Ford, GM, Mopar also have 75w85 or 75w90 GL4 gear oils. I'd stick with the 85 for cooler climates, and the 90 if you're either in a warmer climate or have some power mods.

Pennzoil Synchromesh and Valvoline Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid are not 75w85's

Attachments

• kiafluid.pdf
    208 KB · Views: 9
Redline's MTs are the best IMO. They smoothed out several of my cars' shifting, even the notoriously notchy-when-cold Mazdaspeed6.

What is the viscosity of valvoline synchromesh? I ran it in a vw I had that called for 75w90 because of a recommendation here and it worked out fine.

Worked out fine? Did you UOA the fluid for comparison? disassemble the transmission to study the wear patterns, as compared to an identical transmission that didn't get the synchromesh? Or run either and compare the magnetic drainplugs to see if a thick or thin fluid were 'similar?
Light loads, no power mods, low operating temps, or maybe a stronger than needed manual... survived a thinner fluid.

Only good thing is that the Valvoline, and not the Pennzoil, claims 'GL4'. So, either Valvoline shook the salt/pepper shaker of additives a little more, or played around with the base oils and viscosity modifier in the formula for 'better protection'.

Recommendations here are hit or miss, and sometimes foolish. I would not use a 9cst fluid if my transmission was R&D'd for a 12 or 14cst fluid without understanding the 'possible' consequences.

Does picture below say to be used in place of 75w85 or 75w90?

Attachments

• valvolineMTF.Png
    valvolineMTF.Png
    128.1 KB · Views: 22
I`ve used Redline MTL on my last 3 cars, i love that oil. It made gearchanges noticeable better.
Im using MTL in my tiburon back when they specced 75w90 and it has worked great.
However here is the @MolaKule list of dedicated MTFs. I have also used mt85 and it worked very well too so to stay in spec that's what I would go with.

As you can see in here the valvoline synchromesh is not quite what you're looking for and on par with the 75w80 fluids.
A. These MTF fluids are closest to a Kinematic Viscosity of 6.X cSt@100C (About the same viscosity as a Dexron VI) and SAE 70 or so:

1. Castrol Syntrans FE 75W,
2. BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-3,
3. Honda MTII or MTF 2.
4. Ford FML-XT-11-QDC
5. Volvo Manual Transmission Fluid (6.4 cSt) [Recommended for: type M65 5-speed with 6-cyl. engine, M66, MTX75 and MMT6 and of the type M56, M58 and M59 from and including model year 1996. Meets Ford specification WSSM2C200-D2]
6. Redline MT-LV SAE Viscosity Grade 70W/75W Vis 6.5cst@100°C

B. The next higher viscosity MTF would be the 7.0 to 7.6 cSt@100C versions (SAE 70W75) (About the same viscosity as the original DexronIII/Merc)

1. Royal Purple's Synchromax
2. Ravenol MTF-2
3. Honda MTF
4. VW part number G052512A2
5. GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid
6. BMW (Pentosin MTF 2) MTF-LT-1, 2 ,3
7. Tutelo (Petronus, Italy, Product Code 1402)
8. Pentosin Pro Gear 70W75 (Australia)
9. Pentosin FFL-4
10. Redline Power Steering Fluid
11. RAVENOL STF

Note: C, D and E are often considered popularly as “synchromesh” fluids.

C.
The next higher viscosity MTF group is in the 8.0 cSt to 8.9 cSt Range would be:
  1. Castrol Syntrans V FE (8.0cSt)
  2. Redline DCTF Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid (8.1 cSt)
  3. BG Synchroshift II (8.2 cSt)
  4. Valvoline MTF Part Number 811095 8.8 cSt
  5. RAVENOL PSA (8.9 cSt)

D. The next higher viscosity MTF group in the 9.0 to 9.5 cSt range is (SAE 75W80):
  1. Mopar Type MS-9417 MTL 9.0 cSt
  2. Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.0 cSt
  3. RAVENOL SSG 9.5 cSt

E. The next group of MTF’s are in the 9.6 to 10.X cSt range (SAE 75W80):

1. Redline MTL 75W80
2. Amsoil MTF (9.7 cSt)
3. GM Synchromesh’s
4. Volvo MTF 645
5. Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic MTF (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)
6. Lodexol (Morris Lubricants) MTF
7. Motylgear 75W-80

F. The next higher viscosity MTF would be a 12.0cSt@100C and SAE 75W85:
1. Redline MT-85

G. The next higher viscosity MTFs in the 14-15 cSt (SAE 75W90) range would be:

1. Amsoil MTG
2. Redline MT-90
3. Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90
4. Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75w-90
5. Ford XT-75W90-QGT (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)
6. Ford MOTORCRAFT® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid XT-M5-QS
7. ACDelco 10-4059 GL-4 75W-90 Manual Transmission Fluid
8. RAVENOL TSG SAE 75W-9
9. LiquiMoly 75W-90 GL4
10. Pennzoil 75W90 GL-4
11. Motul Gear 300 GL-4/GL-5 (Product Number 100118)

Worked out fine? Did you UOA the fluid for comparison? disassemble the transmission to study the wear patterns, as compared to an identical transmission that didn't get the synchromesh? Or run either and compare the magnetic drainplugs to see if a thick or thin fluid were 'similar?
Light loads, no power mods, low operating temps, or maybe a stronger than needed manual... survived a thinner fluid.

Only good thing is that the Valvoline, and not the Pennzoil, claims 'GL4'. So, either Valvoline shook the salt/pepper shaker of additives a little more, or played around with the base oils and viscosity modifier in the formula for 'better protection'.

Recommendations here are hit or miss, and sometimes foolish. I would not use a 9cst fluid if my transmission was R&D'd for a 12 or 14cst fluid without understanding the 'possible' consequences.

Does picture below say to be used in place of 75w85 or 75w90?

No that's slightly overkill I do have a life outside of transmission wear. It was recommended here and on the vw forums. Seems to work fine for others as well and I do believe some people on the vw forums did do uoa with good results

Back