Manual Trans. Clutch Issue

Greetings all. *Not sure if this is the correct Forum/Sub-Forum but I trust Admin/Mods will put it where it belongs*

I've owned a few manual transmissions in my 46+ years of driving (and driven quite a few more for work), however, I have never (as far as I can remember) had a clutch that would seemingly only work while "cold". When the engine reaches a certain temp. (warmed-up) the clutch gets very hard (to press) and simple won't work. Slave cylinder, perhaps?

I just bought the vehicle (obviously used) back in May/June and it's really in very good shape considering age and mileage (210,000+). I just needed a pickup to haul trash less than 5 miles (round-trip) every month or three.

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 4 cyl. (2.3L) Manual trans.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Last edited:
If it is the slave cyl, the transmission has to come out. It may be a deteriorating line or the MC. If you pump the pedal with the engine off, will the pedal get hard same as when it warms up?

The clutch doesn't slip, but it gets hard to actuate, so it doesn't want to disengage?
Can you flush and bleed the clutch?

Does it help if you pump the clutch?

the slave cylinder fails commonly under 100k on those.
your rwd is easier to work on than 4wd on those iirc.

I’m guessing since this is temperature dependent, it is moisture or air in the system. Like others said, you should be more detailed in your description of how it is failing. Pedal feel? Can’t disengage?

Back