Manual Tranny fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used/tested a synthetic manual tranny fluid in a Honda, preferrably in a Prelude? A lot of people in our club using synthetic complained or "rougher" shifts, grinding and general stiffness which went away after switching to OEM Honda manual tranny fluid. Does anyone know what the OEM fluid has that the synthetics don't? Anyone ever analyzed a sample?

When I used to own a '90 Integra, I switched the tranny fluid to 10W30 Mobil 1 Tri synth. Felt no difference whatsoever. And experienced nothing out of the ordinary.

Regards,

Oz

If you are speaking of the manual transmission, we have 2 Honda Accords both with close to 200,000 miles on them with Mobil 1 10W-30 in them. Experienced smoother shifting, easier, especially in the winter months.. (Obviously since it flows to 60 degrees below zero F vs. mineral based oils). Can highly recommend with no drawbacks..
George

Yeah, I've also used Mobil 1 10W30 in my 87 and 97 Integra but for some reason the Prelude tranny is very finicky. We have about 200 members in our club and many of them report these problems with synthetic tranny fluids. Any idea what the OEM Honda manual tranny fluid is and what kind of additives it has?

I use Redline 10w40 in my CRX. It gave me smoother shifting in my Honda VTR motorcycle so I tried it in the cage. From what I have read, the smoother shifting is due to Mo.

You car guys don't know what a rough transmission is until you've heard the CLUNK from a motorcycle when shifting into first.

I used Mobil 1 10W30 (pre-TriSyn) in my '90 Integra and immediately noticed notchier shifting. The stuff is too slippery for use in a tranny and I took it out weeks later.

I would use only Red Line MTL in a Honda ... unless you are using Honda MTF. Both have the proper anti-waer and friction modifier additives.

The Prelude has a really finicky and damage-prone tranny. Don't screw around with something that might allow your synchros to be damaged. Use an oil designed for gearboxes and NOT simply a 5/10W30 motor oil.

PS, there is another thread on this subject. Do a search using "Honda MTF" and/or "Red Line MTL."

--- Bror Jace

Changed to Redline 75W90 NS in my Sube man trans and a big improvement over factory crap. Call Redline tech for advice on the best product to use in your Honda, they are good folks as you say in the US.

The chrysler tranny fluid in my neon is synthetic (and $22 a quart! ).

My dad's '80s shelby charger called for Dextron II in it, so we put mobil 1 dextron III in and it shifts very nicely for having 180000 on the tranny.

Here's another vote for Red Line MTL. I have to say, that stuff is awesome. I can't imagine my transmission without it.

I use it in my BMW now and also had it in my old 88 Civic and it worked great in that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back