Manual tire balancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody - I saw a manual tire balancer at Harbor Freight and thought it was interesting. Does anybody have any experience with this? I am sure it doesn't compare to the normal balancers but I thought it might be interesting to use to "perfect" the balance on my tires.

A Harbor Freight tool isn't going to hold a candle to bringing the tires to a good shop to get balanced. Discount Tire will do it for free if you buy from them for the life of the tires. Don't waste your money.

That's the way it used to work. I'm a fan of DIY. It will work, it just takes a while to do it.

Have considered doing this for the tires I mount by hand. Luckily, none of them have needed balancing. Or were tolerable not being balanced.

They are bubble balancers,been around for decades.Some cheapo shops still use them.Not perfect but better than nothing.

There is a powder/stem valve combo sold at loves truck stop tire repair place. call you car dealer and ask him the legal amount of powder you can put in your tire. This stuff is probably avail online also. It wont fix a bent wheel problem but it will dynamicly balance small normal issue

I bought a case of "Dyna Beads" years ago, and have sold most of it off for balancing motorcycle tires, which have the perfect shape for them to work. A wide low pro tire, not so much. Anyway, I made up this same rig, slightly improved, with a smooth 2 liter bottle. It actually works!!! I was surprised, when I tried it, and saw it work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg

In these days of wider, lower profile tires I'd consider leaving the job of balancing tires to a tire shop with a machine that takes thinking out of the job.

You don't have to do it very often and getting it correct is important for a good ride.

There are lots of other things at Harbor Freight. On my last trip I left with a kite for my granddaughter, a free flashlight and some stuff for my wife.

Avoid going in Harbor Freight without supervision from your spouse.

Originally Posted By: Traction
I bought a case of "Dyna Beads" years ago, and have sold most of it off for balancing motorcycle tires, which have the perfect shape for them to work. A wide low pro tire, not so much. Anyway, I made up this same rig, slightly improved, with a smooth 2 liter bottle. It actually works!!! I was surprised, when I tried it, and saw it work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg

Unless you only drive in town. Your tires will always be out of balance.

Bubble balancers are meant for little 12" farm/6' trailer tires. They will not balance a road tire correctly.

I got one. It's terrible. It's worse than nothing. It leads you to think you have a balance and you might as well be throwing darts at a dart board.

You'd have better luck banging a rear drum brake off a FWD car (so there's no drag) and bolting up a tire/ wheel. Spin it, and if it stops in the same spot ten times, add weight to the top.

I have one also. Mine is terrible. The post wobbles, there is no way to get it to be steady. I suspect it'd do the job, if it was rigid.

Might be possible to use all but the base, if one could securely mount to something. Problem is getting all the slop out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back