Manual calls for 5-20w is 10-40w ok to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acura 2003 3.2 TL type S, calls for 5-20w oil. I don't think this provides enough protection when driven hard. I live in a HOT area of the world Florida.

I wouldn't go any thicker than 10W-30. You might try Mobil 1 5W-30 or 10W-30. By the way I use Pennzoil 5W-20 in my 02 Accord and Motorcraft 5W-20 in my 04 Expedition with no problems and it gets hotter here in Texas in the Summer than it does in Florida, of course I might not drive as hard as you do!
grin.gif

What's wrong with using a quality dino 5W-20 or synthetic 0W-20?

I'm sure that Honda has tested their engines under much greater heat and stress than even a car driven hard in the dead of summer in Florida can provide.

You think 5W-20 doesn't provide enough protection. I think 10W-40 is too thick at operating temperature. Why don't you try a 5W-30?

I'm conservative and if the manufacture has tested that engine for 10s of thousands of miles on 5w20 oil then that's what I'd use. Common sense says the manufactures' data is more reliable than someones opinion but, it's your vehicle.

The topic of 5W-20 oils has been beaten, tortured, spindled and mutilated here. Search on 5W-20 if you want to see some of the threads.

All of the available data indicates that top quality 5W-20 oils are doing an excellent job of protecting the engines for which they are specified.

Honda does spec 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils in some other markets for these same engines, so if you are adamant about going to a thicker oil those would be reasonable choices.

Check out the used oil analysis section of this forum. A member recently posted 5W-20 results on his Dallas based Civic. Excellent low wear results.

John

Well my thinking is this....

The 5-20w oil helps the manufacture make their CAFE quotes, and not helping the end consumer.

shocked.gif

I presently have RL 5-30 in my '02 TL, previously was GC 0-30 and I could tell it was on the thick side. My gas mileage declined.
I like the RL and the RP.
smile.gif

With the help of this board, and am poised to use a mixture M1 0-20 and the remaing RP(5-30) I have in the oil cabinet for the fall/winter OCI.
IMHO.. 10-30 is a little too thick for our quick reving engine.
Jean

quote:

Originally posted by goofy8:
The 5-20w oil helps the manufacture make their CAFE quotes, and not helping the end consumer.

The only problem with that theory is that Honda could probably run SAE 50 in all their vehicles and still have no problem meeting CAFE requirements.

You know normaly I would say sure go for it!! But with a vechile that recomends 5W20 I think a bit of caution is in order. I would start with M1 10W30 and see how she does! M1R might be a good idea as well. It has a lot more anti-wear additives then M1 10W30.

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:

quote:

Originally posted by rpn453:

quote:

The only problem with that theory is that Honda could probably run SAE 50 in all their vehicles and still have no problem meeting CAFE requirements.

Then why this:?
http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=117599

Fred..
smile.gif

An interesting read, but it's simply a document from the EPA stating that manufacturers must attempt to have their cars operate under the conditions that the EPA tested under. I didn't see anything in there that explicitly or implicitly suggests engine durability will be affected, or that the companies using 5W-20 receive any special treatment or benefits for recommending such an oil.

If you feel uncomfortable using an XW-20 then use a heavier oil. I totally understand. You're not going to hurt anything and you'll put your mind at ease. I think that the XW-20's have been doing fine though. I was once a serious doubter, but am currently using Esso 5W-20 in my new Mazda 3. I'll be using M1 0W-20 for winter.

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:

quote:

Originally posted by rpn453:

quote:

Then why this:?
http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=117599

Fred..
smile.gif

The reason is that IF Honda was going to claim any CAFE benefit based on using 5w20, they have to report it as such to the EPA and follow the guidelines listed in this EPA document. Here's the kicker: Unlike Ford, Honda decided NOT to certify their cars based (in part) on 5w20, even though they recommend* 5w20 in most of their cars now.

*Note the EPA requirements: "If the Owner's Manual employs a graphical depiction of oil viscosity vs an ambient temperature range, inclusion of any qualifier word, 'prefered' for example, associated with the oil viscosity is considered to introduce ambiguity into the instruction and disqualifies the use of 5w20 engine oil in test vehicles."

If people would read what the EPA wrote, instead of going off with preconceived notions, they would indeed find what the EPA was after. The EPA wanted to make sure Ford and Honda would use the same oil in the EPA tests that they were going to install in their new cars. They also wanted the consumer, once they purchased a car that Ford or Honda specified to use 5W-20 oil, had a reasonable chance to have that car serviced not only at the dealer with 5w-20, but also with 5W-20 being widely distributed for sale over the counter at many outlets.

Your trip to a new car dealeror any auto supply store will tell you the EPA accomplished what they were after.

This cost Ford and Honda big money! Most major oil companies also jumped on the band wagon at mucho costs to them. Are they also part of the 5w-20 CAFE conspiracy?

I do not doubt that 5w-20 oil was looked at by Ford and Honda as a way to save gasoline and possibly improve performance. To that I say, so what and more power to them! Who wouldn't what better gas mileage or better performance?
rolleyes.gif

I do however, reject the conspiracy thinking that Ford and Honda are ******* their reputations, their cars and car owners away by using a thin oil that will not protect properly, all in the name of CAFE.

Sorry, I do not buy that for one minute. Check the UOA. The stuff
grin.gif
works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back