Manual Adjustment to TPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently replaced the throttle body on my Nissan n16 almera but the idle is too low (500rpm, lower under load).

Can manual adjustment of the TPS help?
On this throttle body there are adjustments for the TPS sensor.

The car got a full tune up (plugs, cleaned maf, new air filter, oil etc.) still low idle problem.

Did you try unhooking the battery and then letting it relearn the idle afterwards?

Usually the procedure requires
unhook battery 5-10min
hook battery back up
starting it without touching gas pedal
make sure all accessories are off.. such as
headlights, air conditioning etc.
let it idle for 5-10min

but there may be a specific procedure for your vehicle.

If the mounting holes are elongated, try twisting it the opposite direction of the throttle direction. But I highly doubt that's a legitimate fix. Sounds like it either needs relearned as Rand suggested, or it's slightly out of manufacturer's spec.

Nissan's TPS sensors of the time did have those elongated holes to be adjustable. You are supposed to loosen the screws just enough so you can rotate the TPS, but it should still be attached to the throttle body. The adjustment procedure usually involves the use of a multimeter to check the voltage of the TPS at closed throttle and at full throttle (pushing the throttle cable in all the way). Turn the TPS until the voltage reads as expected, then tighten the screws. What the values are supposed to be can vary by model. If it never reads the correct value in any position, then you need a new TPS.

Once you get the correct adjustment, then relearn the idle like Rand said. Find out the correct way to relearn the idle position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back