Mann WP1240 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a Mann WP1240 cut after 4000 miles in an Isuzu engine.
I was surprised that the pleats had collapsed against themselves and there were holes in the paper at the center tube.
db_Mann_WP1240_closeup1.jpg

db_Mann_WP1240_hole1.jpg

I like wavy filters...

Looks like Metal end caps did not help this one.

Only 4000 miles? Not good.

Thanks for the photos!

Bill

Ahhh, now it makes sense, a diesel. Once changed the oil and filter on one of those fine GM diesel cars
smirk2.gif
back in the late 70's. Dirtiest (black) looking oil and filter I had ever seen. I remember how I could see the dark black oil in the grooves of my fingers after the change.
LOL.gif

Funny thing, after the change and the starting the car, the oil looked almost as black right after.

As for the filter, I prefer metal endcaps, but the holes don't look good. I'd likely switch brands.

BTW, thanks for posting the pics!

Unfortunately since I didn't have the recommended P502046 in stock I went out and bought them another Mann. Then in consultation with Donaldson Techs I found out that I can use the P550947 which is 30% more efficient (microns), larger, and rated for higher pressures. And still cheaper than Mann. So next time we will use the Donaldson.

Yea,my first reaction was that the filter was spent, all used up. Not over used though. I was wondering about it being only 4K but diesel makes more sense.

Yr right ...candidate for larger filter if OCI >4K.

It is a tire delivery truck for the retread plant. I don't have the service records here at home, but it comes in every couple of months. They only work about 35 hours a week, some of that loading and unloading with the engine off.

Yeah, the Mann looks terrible. I hope you can update us in a few months with the Donaldson results. Comparing how something does in relationship to something else tells us more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back