Mann W712/75 is made in Bosnia and has no ADBV. Is it safe to use in a 3800?

I needed to replace the hood struts of a 2001 Firebird with the 3800, and I saw that the Mann W712/75 is listed for that car and shipped from the same warehouse as the Stabilus hood struts, so I ordered it. The filter did not result in any additional shipping cost over just the two lift supports.

Anyway, when I got the filter, I had to look at it and report my findings.

Date code is 2105, so May 2021. Mann only gives you the month it was made, not the day. It says Made in Bosnia and Herzegovina on the box, and just Made in BA on the filter itself.

Other than lacking the ADBV, it's a typical European Mann construction, Same 4 holes in the typical shape, smells the same as all Euro Mann spin-on oil filters, same round holes in the center tube.

My question is, is this filter with no ADBV safe to use in a 3800? The filter is mounted sideways.

WIN_20220305_15_18_03_Pro.jpg
WIN_20220305_15_20_52_Pro.jpg

Other than lacking the ADBV, it's a typical European Mann construction, Same 4 holes in the typical shape, smells the same as all Euro Mann spin-on oil filters, same round holes in the center tube.
The old "smell test" ... 😄

My question is, is this filter with no ADBV safe to use in a 3800? The filter is mounted sideways.
If the oil filter is mounted above the sump oil level, there is always the chance that the oil above the sump oil level can drain back down to the level of the oil in the sump if the filter doesn't have an ADBV.

Last edited:
Back