Mann oil filters animation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this must have been posted before, but still a good look at filter operation and some points on poor quality filter designs.

Thanks for sharing. I like MANN filters and get them whenever I can from Rockauto. Haven't been able to find them in the regular auto parts stores near me. I think, and I may be wrong, that MANN is owned by Purolator now.

^I believe it's the other way around.

stirthepot.gif

The OE 'fleece' Mann+Hummel cartridge filters in our Mercedes-Benz proved to be excellent performers.

Thanks for the video...I'm a visual learner.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
they say poor quality filters tear but are they not part of tearolater? I guess they should know and im glad they admit it !

So, you're saying we KNOW they aren't ignorant?

theyareontome.gif
hornets_nest.gif
crazy2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^I believe it's the other way around.

stirthepot.gif

You are correct.

https://www.mann-hummel.com/en/corp/news/news/newsdetail/?tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=295

Stating the obvious (for some at least), lots of irony in this yt considering that Mann has been half owner since 06 and sole owner since last year, of Purolator.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Thanks for sharing. I like MANN filters and get them whenever I can from Rockauto. Haven't been able to find them in the regular auto parts stores near me. I think, and I may be wrong, that MANN is owned by Purolator now.

AAP carries them.

^Yes, I used a MANN version of a 14459 for my car a couple years ago from AAP and instantly thought it was a Purolator Classic. Looked up, and it seemed plausible. I forget if I truly confirmed that with what I found or not, I'm sure it was on this site. lol.

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

AAP carries them.

Thanks! I actually finally have an AAP going up near me and will open soon. Before this I only had NAPA, O'Rielly, Pep Boys and Autozone.

I did a brief search and didn't find much in the way of efficiency ratings for MANN filters. I'd wager it's about the same as a Purolator Classic, though. Just from seeing the type of element from cut open/side-by-side pictures.

Granted, that doesn't guarantee media properties, but more of a gut conclusion given the limited information they give about their filters. At least, in the NA region. Maybe in Germany they have all kinds of info.
21.gif

Here are some older BITOG threads. A couple show they probably have ratings at larger micron. Though one claims 9 micron
crazy2.gif
?!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=929689

That was from a 'forwarded' US sales person email with a returned German answer wrt efficiency of a particular MANN filter p/n.

Just go to AAP, search mann, ignore vehicle spec and look at them filter at a time. The spin-ons don't seem to have efficiency spec but the cartridges are listed generally around 99% @ 40micron.
21.gif

Case in point, this cartridge has a 99% efficiency at? 38.7 micron. .7 of a micron to get that efficiency of 99% as desired I guess.
grin2.gif

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/mann-...mann#fragment-2

Others varry, result 2 has a cartridge of 99% but at 38 micron. I think they just show w/e micron they achieve 99% efficiency at at least wrt their cartridge.

Perfectly in line with a Puro rated at 97.5% at 25micron, eh?
confused.gif

Last edited:

confused.gif

The Classic is actually 97.5% @ 20 microns ... if there are no tears.
grin.gif

---> Link

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

confused.gif

The Classic is actually 97.5% @ 20 microns ... if there are no tears.
grin.gif

---> Link

Ah, thanks for the clarification.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back