Man moves far from his friends and family and loses a massive amount of weight in months

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
This may have been a staged plan, clickbait, the next Gerard, but interesting nine the less.

A man moved to a remote village and cut contact with loved ones. He reappeared months later 137 pounds lighter and says he's broken a decades-long cycle of weight loss and gain.

Don't have time to read that VERY LONG facebook entry (or whatever it is) but the drumbeat of "...moved to a remote village and quit his job...." jumped out at me. I've always been leery of formulaically written stuff (seemingly designed to be edited-shortened-republished) , even innocent pieces.
Also, I didn't pick up any mention of diet aside from his preparing his own meals, but again, I didn't read the article fully.
I was so hoping for a new Mediterranean (he went to Spain) Diet of sardines and olive pits.

Ha-ha....I have my own dog to walk. I'm adding to the 26 pounds I've already shed.
All my "XLT's" (Extra Large Tall) clothing went to a friend's son in law.
A 'thank you' from that fat bar steward would be nice....but I ain't holding my breath.

Don't have time to read that VERY LONG facebook entry (or whatever it is) but the drumbeat of "...moved to a remote village and quit his job...." jumped out at me. I've always been leery of formulaically written stuff (seemingly designed to be edited-shortened-republished) , even innocent pieces.
ChatGPT wrote it!!
🤣

Did. quick skim. Probably missed a few things.
He reasoned he was struggling because it was so easy to access indulgent foods, and his social life centered around food and drink. So he removed those aspects of his life by moving to a tiny Mallorcan fishing village "in the middle of nowhere" called Cala Figuera, which only had one shop open in winter.

O'Keefe's thinking reflects research on what are known as obesogenic environments, where easy access to and the advertisement of highly processed, calorie-dense foods encourages people to eat unhealthily and live sedentary lifestyles, contributing to rising obesity rates.
In short, he removed temptations, which included both access to high calorie foods and settings which bring that food out, that also have the expectation of indulgence. He then focused on exercise and eating a proper level of calories (elsewhere it mentions calorie counting). He dropped from 338 down to 200, so not exactly a slim and cut figure, just one much more healthy.

Interesting story, in that he was able to isolate himself by removal of temptations, instead of learning to say no to temptations—same result, different method. But the tools used were basically the same as what anyone else could/should use: balanced diet of “good” foods, movement, calorie counting. It wasn’t a fad pill or particular workout. The only “odd” thing was, ditching the socialite lifestyle which seemed to encourage bad behaviors.

says he's broken a decades-long cycle of weight loss and gain.
Too soon to tell if he can stick with it. I dropped 15 the last 6 months just by cutting out 85% of the carbs and without exercise. It's not too hard but not a piece of cake (pun intended) either. Haven't had more than one or two servings of bread, pasta, pizza, chips, crackers, ice cream this year.

Too soon to tell if he can stick with it. I dropped 15 the last 6 months just by cutting out 85% of the carbs and without exercise. It's not too hard but not a piece of cake (pun intended) either. Haven't had more than one or two servings of bread, pasta, pizza, chips, crackers, ice cream this year.
I'll agree, we'll see what happens if he moves back to his old haunts. He may pack it back on--or, being older and wiser, have learned how to skip.

I wish simple diet change could work for me, I cut out booze and should have been losing a pound a week for the last month. I gained a pound instead, go figure. New England winters are too long.

I wonder if the stress of moving away from everyone and everything you know played a part. I can tell you that running two businesses, a beef cattle operation, working 40 hours+ a week running an understaffed maintenance facility is an excellent weight loss/weight management plan.

When my wife's parents were alive every summer my wife would take our kids and fly to visit them for around a month. During that time I would schedule a lot of work travel and spend my weekends working on and fixing things around home. Wouldn't cook much - no one to eat it. I would loose a fare bit of weight during that month - but I am not that much overweight so maybe 6 or 7 pounds?

Could I keep that pace up indefinitely - not likely.

I’m thinking loneliness should be figured in as well.
In my case it probably made me put on the weight! Away from the cocoon, so find solace elsewhere.

Maybe he's the sort to do better alone, or in smaller groups? pure speculation on my part.

Back