Man killed in Chevy Monte Carlo fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have thought the man could have gotten out unless he had falled asleep or passed out drunk.

The door unlock can be manual and the door open is manual so even if the fire made the electrical system inoperable he should have been able to open the door

I have an orange safety hammer with concave edge to be able to break a window in door pocket of driver's door.

If the model has that many fires why is there no recall?

I would have thought the man could have gotten out unless he had falled asleep or passed out drunk.

The door unlock can be manual and the door open is manual so even if the fire made the electrical system inoperable he should have been able to open the door

I have an orange safety hammer with concave edge to be able to break a window in door pocket of driver's door.

Seems short on actual details regarding fires being common. A link to a pretty generic NHTSA page about the 2002 Monte Carlo that says nothing about fires being common. A separate search turns up the following recall campaign:

Summary:

General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain model year 1998-1999 Chevrolet Lumina and Oldsmobile Intrigue, 1997-2004 Buick Regal and Pontiac Grand Prix, 2000-2004 Chevrolet Impala, and 1998-2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo vehicles. The affected vehicles were previously repaired under recalls 08V-118, 09V-116, and 15V-201 to address the possibility that engine oil may drip onto the hot exhaust manifold.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID:
15V701000

Report Date:
OCT 26, 2015

Vehicles Affected:

Sad story. 20 year old car could have been anything from an oil leak, litter under the car, electrical from a poorly installed aftermarket accessory...not enough details here.

Yeah sad , some plastics fumes can knock you out real quick when inhaled . Teflon Is one you don't want to screw with .
GM 3.8 I'm just guessing , the one everyone brags about

Yep, these have been on recall for many years now. The latest recall is a replacement valve cover that is designed differently so oil doesn’t collect at the gasket. It’s when the gaskets get old and brittle when they begin to leak. They added a lip design to the new cover.

Had the recall done on a couple 3.8’s, the new updated valve cover is black, so it’s easy to tell if it’s been replaced. The original valve covers are gray. Recall is only applicable to fwd applications.

To my recollection this is only for the 3.8 V6

Driving old cars can be hazardous to your health!

Sad story. 20 year old car could have been anything from an oil leak
Very true. I'm sure that's the reason we don't see recalls on cars once they're beyond a certain age/number of years. Contrary to popular belief, manufacturers don't have a magical ability to design/build components that fail after 10 years or after 120,000 miles. Are there poor quality parts made ? Sure are, but not with the predictability for failure that many want to believe.

If you take a look around the roads & parking lots these days, you'll notice some of the saddest motorized specimens are attempting to roam around out there...............
Plus I'm hearing the most hilarious sounds from them. Must be all the stolen cats? : )

There's been plenty of recalls on that model and various others for that reason. It's still the responsibility of the owner to go back to the dealer for the free recall repair.

I had a 98 intrigue involved with that recall and I never returned the car for the fix because it didn't need it. It also had 200,000+ miles and was well on its way to rusting to pieces so I never bothered to have it done.

Based on the balance of posts in this forum, I was under the impression only EVs caught fire. Weird.

Fords have been catching on fire way before they came up with an electric vehicle. A handful of other brands too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back