Man climbs over fence at McCarran airport in Las Vegas and climbs up onto airplane wing

This happened yesterday. Obviously the man is out of his senses. The ending looks like he did a face plant on the tarmac. As if airline pilots didn’t have enough things to think about.

1) He wanted to impress Jodi Foster. (bad)
2) Do airplanes so violated need to go through an additional pre-flight inspection?
3) Couldn't they have shot him off the wing like a squirrel from a bird feeder?

Airliner aren't built with fabric wings. though I would guess some one will look at it.

Many aircraft wings I’ve seen have “Step Here” or something to that effect stenciled on the wing itself. I don’t think you can go dancing over the wing like that fool was doing. I saw one cop on that wing. He was probably instructed where to step.

Astro would know for certain and I’ll bet the plane went back for a inspection.

I don’t walk on wings any more. Used to step on the back of the F-14 as part of routine preflight inspection.

Most of the wing on an airliner is OK to walk on. It’s skinned with thin aluminum alloy, but with structure underneath. The fragile spots are usually stenciled “NO STEP” as a reminder.

The mechanics will look for damage in the form of dents or deformation. Fairly easy to see with the naked eye.

Dents have an allowable specification, like less than 1/8” deep over less than two square inches, or something like that, to be good to go. If they exceed whatever the specifications are, then the airplane must be repaired before flight.

Pilots should have taken off , climb to 10,000 feet and turn the yoke left and right very quickly to shake the guy off the wing.

Back