Makita WT01W Cordless 3/8 Inch Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to decide if this small electric impact would be a more useful tool vs. getting an electric ratchet.

http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=WT01W

I'm leaning towards this Makita 3/8 inch impact since it would be better at removing fasteners. This would be mainly used for doing work on my personal vehicles to save time.

It seems to be getting very good reviews and wondered if anyone has used anything like this. I don't have air tools and have never used an impact wrench before.

what kind of work?

and I'm positive their site is typo'ed

its not 1000 ft-lb

its 1000 in-lb which is 1000/12 or about 83 ft-lb

Honestly I think a 1/2 drive 250 ft-lb model might be more suited for a first tool.

Last edited:
Specs say it is rated at 11 Nm torque, which is really quite low for most work on a car. It may even struggle with some of the smaller fasteners.

Have a look at the 1/4 hex 18V impact wrenches from the big brands which have lots more torque. You can always buy a 1/4 hex to 3/8" drive adapter for sockets.

The tools have different applications. An impact wrench...no sane car guy should be without one...is essential for wheel lugs and larger nuts and bolts on the body and chassis, you simply don't get the torque from a wrench. I'd recommend 1/2 over 3/8, there's more meat there which will come in handy. Get the deep sockets, too.

A wrench is useful for smaller fasteners that typically are closer to other components and require a smaller tool. Here, 3/8 is fine.

I'd recommend both, you'll use them if you have them, and there's nothing like having the right tool right there when you need it instead of wishing you had.

I use the Milwaukee version and it is very handy for smaller fasteners, maybe 3/8" and smaller. For larger fasteners you can run them down with the little gun then do a final torque with a wrench.

Originally Posted By: Cressida
I am trying to decide if this small electric impact would be a more useful tool vs. getting an electric ratchet.

http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=WT01W

I'm leaning towards this Makita 3/8 inch impact since it would be better at removing fasteners. This would be mainly used for doing work on my personal vehicles to save time.

It seems to be getting very good reviews and wondered if anyone has used anything like this. I don't have air tools and have never used an impact wrench before.

I have this one, its one the best tools i have ever owned. Tranny Pans, diff covers, oil pans, intakes, every small to medium size job with a lot of bolts get this gun used on it.
It removes them quick but can be regulated so it just snugs them when running them up and finish with a torque wrench.

The batteries are original and i bought it in 2008 and use it daily. If this tool broke tomorrow i would have another one the next day, its better than that good!

http://www.zoro.com/i/G4901111/?utm_sour...CFSMV7AodbQoARA

These small electrics are handy, but I usually break and fasten by hand, so they're really there for saving spinning time.

I am not sure that the 1/4" hex to 3/8" square drive adapters are rated for impact, so consider that too. That drive system would be longer and bulkier than a square drive on the tool, but also more useful, IMO.

i have the 18v makita cordless impact, it is invaluable and the battery lasts quite awhile. it wont take lugnuts off, but will take off a bolt that is torqued around 25 ft/lbs reliably.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Do you have the 1/4" one? My 3/8 will knock a 100 lb torque bolt loose easy.

You have the one with the big battery - maybe he has the smaller one where the battery is essentially the handle.

I have a bosch one like that, and love it for its handiness (except mine doesnt have the 3/8" square on the end unfortunately). Never tried max torque, but I suspect the one you linked to is much beefier and capable of more torque.

Yeah, my smaller stuff has 1/4" hex, which is a blessing when I want to d other stuff with it, but also a curse when I want to use it with sockets. The adapters, which surely cant handle a ton of torque, are also at least 1" longer when inserted, probably longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back