Making your own octane booster

Status
Not open for further replies.
where can i get toulene from? and at what ratio do i want to mix it with my gas (how many oz per gallon)? i know i read somethin on acitone, was it an injector cleaner then?

Acetone is not purely an octane booster.

Toluene (correct spelling) aka methylbenzene is available at most hardware stores. I will not recommend a ratio for liability reasons, but I have read accounts of up to gallon in a full tank not causing great harm......so scaling back from there should be safe. Toluene

I have made brews using IPA/Xylene/2 stroke oil.

Higher octane fuels are used to prevent preignition, detonation, 'knock', etc......They do not make extra horsepower or give better fuel milage. As bkrell said, if your car is not designed for higher octane, you're wasting money and time.

Acetone, Toluene and Xylene are actually industrial solvents and are very 'dry'. They could do more harm then good in your fuel system.

One the other hand, Pablo's brews sound interesting, but only in high compression engines under certain conditions.

And why not just buy a higher octane fuel?

Sounds a lot safer then playing around with homebrew octane boosters, not raising it enough, and blowing up your motor.

You can always adjust your ignition timing for more power with higher octane, some cars do it automatically.

Cars that are designed for premium will pull timing out if you use cheap gas. Not becuase it can sense octane, but because the knock sensors tell it to back out.

Conversely, cars designed for low-octane fuel don't really add timing if you put premium in.

So on cars designed for premium, I think the knock sensors are sort of adding/pulling timing on a continuous basis as knock is/is not detected.

IMHO, I'm not crazy about having the knock sensors take care of this, as I've seen quite a few of them fail on cars that admitedly have heavy modifications.

On a stock vehicle, you're likely OK. Which is why, on cars designed for premium, most MFRs will state "reduced performance with lower octane fuel" or soemthing to that affect.

I race a 11:1 CR VW 2.0 8v engine. Even 94 octane is not enough. I am always forced to pull back the timing. How does adding 2 stroke oil effect the 02 sensor? does it damage the injectors?

Premium fuel contains up to 30-40% toluene. Adding more shouldn't be a problem. It's toxic and flammable, like gasoline. Toluene is 114 octane. Adding 10% raises octane about 2.2 points. Xylene is 117 octane.
Here's something I saved from a Turbo Buick website:

Richard Lassiter's "How to Mix Your Own Brew"

FORMULA 1
Toulene
R+M/2...114
Cost...$2.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...94.2 Octane
20%...96.4 Octane
30%...98.6 Octane
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

FORMULA 2
Xylene
R+M/2...117
Cost...$2.75/gal
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...97.0 Octane
30%...99.5 Octane
Notes: Similar to Toulene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toulene and advertised as *race formula*.

FORMULA 3
Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2...118
Cost...$3.50/gal
10%...94.6 Octane
20%...97.2 Octane
30%...99.8 Octane
Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toulene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.

FORMULA 4
Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2...101
Cost...$0.60 - $1.75/gal
10%...94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...Not Recommended
Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combines with water.

FORMULA 5
Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2...101
Cost...$0.60-$1.50/gal
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...Not Recommended
30%...Not Recommended
Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.

After installing powerchip upgrade, I frequently use toluene to boost octane. I recommend not going above 20% mix. At 30% mix, I occasionally get slight hesitation and sometimes engine stall.

Camry 2.2L
Red Line - Stock with 98RON fuel
Purple Line - Powerchip + 98RON fuel
Blue Line - Powerchip + 20% Toluene

-

ok, i want to use either toulene or xylene in a mixture with 2 cycle oil to compensate for the "dryness" of these solvants and to lube the upper cylinders. How much 2 cycle oil should i add per gallon at say a 20% mixture? Also, how much will 2 cycle oil alter the octane rating of the gas/mixture?

quote:

You can always adjust your ignition timing for more power with higher octane, some cars do it automatically.

You're living in the '70s. All modern engines have timing that is electronically constanstly changing to meet the load demands on the engine.

Modified engines?...that's different, and too big a topic for most folks here. Yes, with the right mods and the right instrumentation changes can be made that help a lot. Most changes just cost a lot and help little--if at all.

Ken

FYI, my 95 bmw 525i 2.5 liter m50 engine has knock sensors and can benefit from higher octane. It "required" as stock 89 octane. 91 and up in stock form will provide more power and slightly better economy.

However, my ecu is modified (better power and torque) and now requires 91 octane or better. I run 93 octane chevron most of the time. I doubt if it can benefit from any additional octane booster. at least I do not think so.

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back